Burdick’s Chocolate & Walpole Creamery Tour to Walpole, NH

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Burdick’s Chocolate & Walpole Creamery Tour to Walpole, NH
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Sunday August 13, 2017 was a very busy day, I ran a tour for the Central New Hampshire Model T Club, “the Granite T’ers” to Walpole, New Hampshire. It was over 120 miles round trip. We ended up with 13 cars (9 Model Ts, 3 Model As and 1 modern), a great turnout for our club.

At the last directors meeting we talked about inviting other local Model T & A club members to join our tours and I am very happy to say that we enjoyed 3 Model A cars and their six members on this tour.

I called it the Burdick’s Chocolate & Walpole Creamery Tour, but I should have named it the “Iron Butt”, “See if you can Catch Me Tour”! I did a lot of waiting for everyone to catch up with me, which is normal when lending a large group of vehicles over back, very hilly and dirt roads in a Model T (all newer cars were asked to follow in the back). Thank you, to Karen & Dave Dufault for running in the tail gunners place, with your 4-way flashers on, providing some much-needed safety. I also had the advantage of running these routes several times over the last 2 weeks, so knew when the steep uphill grades were coming and could get up some much-needed speed, before starting up them. Please note: I did tell the group before we got started that “what goes up, must come down”. So, it also could have been called the “Be sure to check your brakes and adjust your bands, before starting on this tour”.

It was a very successful day; the weather was perfect and we all had a wonderful time.
The tour started at Page's Corner Store in Dunbarton, New Hampshire and went to Walpole via all back roads (as stated many were dirt and all were very hilly) and back to Page's. Paul LeBlanc said, “I think it holds the record for most miles traveled over dirt roads”. Another member (who shall remain anonymous) when he heard Paul’s statement said, “it’s the first time we ever drove on a AMC club hiking trail, while on tour”. To be honest it was a little narrow, but we did meet another vehicle coming from the opposite direction. So, I maintain that constitutes a road, even if you can’t find it on your map!

Thank you, to all those who helped by participating to make this tour a great success. One of the most enjoyable parts of my day was at the Walpole Creamery, when club members Peter Hubrich and his wife came down from Wilder, VT to visit with me and see Seabiscuit my 1926 Model T coupe, that I had purchased from him in July 2014.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Warren,

Looks absolutely beautiful !

Thanks for posting the pictures ... :

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

FJ, you have it right!
Warren, your surroundings are absolutely beautiful. Much like mine yet way different.
Gramma and I both wish to get out East to your part of the country.
Sounded like a great tour!
I'm STILL laughing about that narrow "road". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Duey,

Your profile image is very cool !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:32 pm:

Thanks FJ. Very nice of you to say. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:41 am:

Freighter Jim, I was thinking of you when I eat my 2 scoops of Ginger Ice Cream in a Waffle cone.

Duey C, Minnesota is not that far away. I have a nephew who lives in Minneapolis. Driven over I-94 hundreds of times. Do you live near Sauk Centre or Fergus Falls?

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:42 am:

Nice to see Walpole still a sleepy little place. Thanks for the pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

Hah! A gear jammer! No wonder you're familiar with I-94 and figure MN ain't that far away.
We're about 30 miles West of Sauk. You even spelled Centre correctly. That's different! Wait, there's a truck stop there.
We're also about 15 miles south of Alex (pronounced Alec). Fergus is just up the freeway.
To see it from 30,000 feet, one would think it's all water and lakes interconnected with roads here.
No, but darned close. :-) They do call this "the lakes area".
Warren, is that last pic the narrow "road"?
If I had any imagination, I'd click a pic of the road I drive to/thru, just to the right of my driveway.
Lovely gravel, a little rough sometimes before one is under the canopy, trees abound and grow around the top. Then open space to cruise after a bit.
Please excuse the wordy response. :-)
And thank you for the pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

It is a small world we live in.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Yes Gary, we lived in Walpole from 1995 to 2007 and we loved it there.

Jim, it is a small world, but a big beautiful country, I could tell you some hair raising truck driver stories and they would all be true (there might be a little embellishment along the way, just to keep it interesting).

Duey, you will appreciate what frequent poster and Model T expert / historian Bill Harper had to say when he read my report on Bookface.

VP William Harper said
"The claim that this is an AMC hiking trail is FAKE NEWS! The presence of grass in the center of the thoroughfare and the utility pole with it's overhead wires is ample proof that this is a ROAD. Heck, when them flatlanders from away come here to the Shire (Cheshire County) they should understand that this is a major route. What is the saying? :"If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." OR, in this instance, stay on the paved boulevards."

To which, I said "Oh boy, if only (the aforementioned) person were savvy enough to be on bookplace, you would find yourself in the middle of decision like the good old fashioned MTFCA forum decision about MMO".

To which the aforementioned person said "I and my brother Paul (I'm still not mentioning his name) were among only the few who stayed with you for the complete tour". This my friends is a true statement.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

I consider Bill Harper to be my friend ( if he is agreeable ).

Truly a fine gentleman and a goodwill ambassador for the Model T Community.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Warren, that's too funny!
Yup, that's a road. I agree with Bill, it has utility poles, it's a road. Shoot, I still call them telephone poles sometimes.
The county here calls a very secluded "road" at the bottom of my hill (not the one mentioned above) a "cart trail".
Oh the miles I've logged there with a few pioneer/classic piles.
Modern realtors that want to sell a landlocked 10 acre parcel (that does not come into contact with the cart trail in our neighborwood) call it a road.
We in the neighborwood call it...private property. :-)
Too blinking wordy again.
Thank you for more pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

I was wondering if J&J Van de Bogart were on that tour with you. I see the last picture....They are friends of ours from Florida. They need to replace one of their Model A's with a Model T!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Jeff Perkins, you have a good eye, that is Jan & Janice. What I great coupe they are, I meet them a little over a week ago when I was getting some petal for one of my Ts. We live in the same town and I could not have been happier than to have them and another A couple join us on the tour.

+++ jpeg +++ 781693 +++
Jan & Janice VandeBogart 1930 Model A +++

Duey, I was hopping that would bring a smile to some faces, that is why I added it. It was "all fun and games, until this happened" and I just got out of the way in the nick of time!!!!

just kidding, that happened when I was doing a trail run

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Not sure what happened to the picture (+++ jpeg +++ 781693 +++ ), I will try once again.

This is the Model A Jan & Janice took on the tour

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration