License plate--painting the letters....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: License plate--painting the letters....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

I`m attempting an "amature" plate restoration for my `29 Model A roadster---anybody have a suggestion for painting the black letters on my white painted plate? Tryed a small paint roller but that caused runs everywhere---I`m too shakey to try a brush--how did YOU do it? Thanks, Paul

plate painting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Do you have someone nearby who does silk screening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jb8IvCaGdc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

There are a few different methods- you might try a hard rubber roller loaded with a light coat of paint, so that it tends to only stay where the roller contacts the numbers. Another method is to paint the whole plate with a few coats of the color of the numbers, then paint the whole thing with a relatively thin coat of the background color. You can then wet-sand the paint off the numbers with a wood block as a backing for the sandpaper. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Years ago I tried a method that I read about in a magazine. The complete plate was first painted several coats with the colors of the numbers and letters. Then just enough paint was applied, over the entire plate, in the background color, to get good coverage, no more than necessary. Then very very fine sandpaper and rubbing compound was used to "expose" the numbers and letters. It worked well for me. I no longer have the plates or I would post a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Take it to your local sign painter or pinstriper and have him free hand the numbers for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

The way I did my tags was to paint the entire plate the base color I then waited three weeks for the paint to completely cure and taped then off the whole plate and with a razor I very carefully cut around the numbers and sprayed the last color. I did not remove the tape for a week. Worked very well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

Rolling off most of the paint first on a scrap piece of paper seems to be the key to using a rubber roller on these. You want a very light coat of paint on your roller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

I'm told that using One-Shot striping paint works best as it does leave "strings" of paint railing behind the roller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

I have done several plates. You want to use a hard rubber roller called a brayer. They are available in art stores like Hobby Lobby. One Shot lettering enamel should be your paint of choice. Practice first on another plate to get used to how much paint & pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

I shot these and then fine-line taped them and shot the orange. Not perfect but the owner was happy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I had the same problem. I cleaned and prepared the plate with the base color then had my wife hand paint them. She has steady hands. Clear coated the finish product and it's holding up well after 2 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

I painted the plates, then had a sign painter do the numbers. Turned out very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Send it to Steve Jelf. He was a sign maker.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration