Safe to run engine with battery charger on?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Safe to run engine with battery charger on?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Lake Oswego, OR on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I keep a battery charger/maintainer on my 6 volt battery in the 26. I periodically run the engine while it is in storage. The stock generator has the F.P. voltage regulator on it.

Is there any risk to any part of the system to leave the charger hooked up while the engine is started and running for several minutes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Unless the charger is a well self-protected one, DO NOT use the starter with the charger attached. The current draw can blow the voltage rectifier in an instant. Some old selenium rectifiers MAY be able to survive. Best not to test the lights also. The ignition itself should not hurt the charger. However, some small trickle chargers may not be able to handle even that.
Basically, a 2 amp charger can handle 2 amps. A 6 amp charger can handle 6 amps, etc.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration