97 Year Old Meets 97 Year Old "T" Interesting T Day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 97 Year Old Meets 97 Year Old "T" Interesting T Day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

About a month ago my wife and I drove our 24 touring to beautiful Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario. While we were sitting by the water an elderly man and his caretaker stopped to look at the T. He really enjoyed looking the T over and telling us some of his stories of Model T's. We invited them to visit "Our Ford Farm".

They came today. He thoroughly enjoyed looking at the cars, especially the 1920. Which was the same year he was born, 97 years ago. He really enjoyed riding in it. He was surprising spry, and for his age of 97, he had a very clear mind. He had no trouble getting in and out of the T.

Before they arrived I finished checking the rod bearings on the 14. After over 15,000 miles I only took a half a shim out of number one. Number four, which can really be a pain, went smoothly using a 1/4" drive impact gun, extension and universal joint.

Ready  For A Ride

Telling Me Fordson Stories

This is what brought the big smile in the previous picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

What a great story. Hope he enjoyed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Ditto! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Dan,
Thanks for posting this! You made my day!

I like your truck. Can you tell us more about it?

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:24 am:

I love stories like this I'm a spry 50 years old (wow, really?) I joined this club when I was just 34. I hope I can give several old timers joys like this. Someday that might be me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:39 am:

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to take some photos soon with my 24 Touring and my wife's grandmother (born in 24).

I particularly like your photos of the setup you used to work on the number four rod bearing. I'll be rebuilding my engine soon, but the thought of adjusting that #4 bearing down the line has left me a bit squeamish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:04 am:

Dan: How do you take out a 1/2 a shim? Do you mean you took out a shim from one side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Matt, The TT is a 1920. It belonged to a local highway department. When I got it, there was only front end sheet metal on it. Someone gave me the bed and it was off a TT. I bought the cab at a flea market, and built the T base to mount it on out of rough cut lumber. It has a Ruckstell and a Warford. I used it for quite awhile. It ran good, but the engine was very tired. Smoked very bad if it sat idling for any length of time. In the pictures I posted, the 97 year old is standing next to the 26 looking at something else with a big smile. The something else was the TT. I posted the pictures with captions, but it the caption icon on the upload attachment didn't work.

Don, Number four of course is the worse to do. If you take your time, and use the impact driver it almost makes it easy. Be sure to stuff in plenty of rags.

Larry, You guessed correctly. Figuring that the two halves, one for each side equals a whole. I removed one from one side.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration