Crank Bushing Replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Crank Bushing Replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Any tips for removing the bushing that the crank handle sits in? I've had no luck in getting it to move.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:19 am:

This one was installed from the rear and somehow partially peeled back like a banana. Getting it out was an ordeal with a hacksaw, hammer, and chisel.

For normal removal, try a piece of pipe a little longer than the bushing and big enough for the bushing to fit inside it. Put a piece of " all thread through the pipe, the bushing, and a piece of pipe behind the bushing a little smaller in diameter so it will fit through the hole and push the bushing out into the bigger pipe when you tighten the nut.

You can also use the all thread to press in the new bushing.

You may need to use a " reamer to get the crank in.

I use bronze. I'd rather wear out the bushing than the crank. I bevel the end a little and grease the hole to help the bushing move in.

Here's another view of that peeled old bushing. It was a real booger to get out.

I was lucky to have this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

Thank you Steve Jelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Anyone trying to remove this bushing had better be careful as there is a 800- to 1200.00 radiator right above it. Most people would be careful about doing this but I have a feeling there has been some radiators damaged over the years by getting in to big of a hurry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

After you get the old bushing out, if you have rebuilt a starter and still have the old starter shaft bronze bushing you can use it to replace the old steel crank bushing. Press in the old starter shaft bushing and drill/ream to fit the crank handle. Good re-use of a part that would normally just get tossed into the scrap pile. Inside diameter of the starter shaft bushing is smaller than the crank handle but the outside diameter of the two bushings is the same. So you can make the old starter bushing fit the handle nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Steve, the only thing I can add to Steve Jelf's approach is to use a die grinder to carve a track in the old bushing rather than using a hacksaw to slit it. Once you have it cut through, it is easy to deform within the pan snout and then easily driven out.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Hostalets de Pierola (Spain) on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 03:29 am:

I removed the old original steel sleeve by cutting through it lengthwise as Steve described. I did it with a standard hacksaw blade which takes longer, but it worked. Those sleeves are really pressed in tight!

That's a great idea for the old starter bushings Mike Vaughn!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Braverman on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

I was able to replace the bushing today. I used a Sawzall to cut a slot lengthwise inside the old bushing. Then it was easy to pound out. BTW, I do have the radiator removed from the car, which makes it much easier. The new bushing was driven in with a bearing race driver.

Thank you all for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Steve, great photos as usual. Thanks for describing how you did the job. I never saw a pneumatic hacksaw like that before, looks very handy indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Harbor Freight has a small Pneumatic hacksaw that works fine for the price. A standard hacksaw blade will fit in this saw and a lot cheaper. Think I paid less than $20. on sale for the saw.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration