What to do with a cutoff touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What to do with a cutoff touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:44 am:

I have found a good looking 26 or 27 touring that has been cut off. I'm thinking about what can be done with it. I'm not a fan of speedster so I'm thinking either a truck bed or a run about style deck. I would like to see some examples to help me decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:47 am:

make a pickup out if it and enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Fit a nice vendor box to the back end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Here's some pics of Betsy, my '24 cut-off touring. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Use as is. I like the dump bed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Tommy hasn't posted any pics of his cutoff touring yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:16 am:

I like the looks of some of those vendor boxes, I may test my woodworking skills over the winter and build one to bolt onto Betsy for a change of pace. I'll probably make it tilt like the current bed because it makes access to the battery and rear of the chassis so much easier.

If I do that, I'll still keep the tilt bed in storage to swap back some time in the future. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:17 am:

How about a homemade tool box that converts into a rumble seat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:19 am:

Oooh, I like that idea too! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:21 am:

I've never seen anything like that toolbox rumble seat. Is it still open under the base for storage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Isn't it amazing how many different configurations people can come up with

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:31 am:

I resurrected this '26 bed recently with plans to cut off my beat up jalopy touring and install it. I haven't done it yet, still thinking about it but having second thoughts....

I like that convertible tool box too, neat idea.

box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

You did a good job on that bed Steve and yes, that toolbox/rumble seat is dang cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

The seat cushion is removable and the front edge is hinged. The result is quite a bit of under seat storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Randy, rumble seat/storage bin is a super neat idea but please, what is the device on top of the left rear fender?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Randy, rumble seat/storage bin is a super neat idea but please, what is the device on top of the left rear fender?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Sorry for the double post. I'll shut up now. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

Robert,
There were pads bolted to the tops of all four fenders for what purpose we can only guess. For ladders, lumber or whatever long loads you dare to haul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

I like the look of the tin or galvanized steel sheet bent over the edges and corners of the lid and nailed to the wood! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

This car is an interesting case study in the ingenuity of the Model T Ford owners. I have another thread running that addresses the features found on this car.

Check out: "1919-1920 Runabout w/Replacement Engine"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Mark, the proportions look perfect on your bed.
What are the measurements?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Why not see if you can find a back half? Check with Mark Freimiller?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

I have a touring already. I have not bought the cut-off yet but probably will tomorrow or the next day. My broken left hip complicates things a wee bit right now.
After seeing Mark's beautiful truck I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do. Thanks Mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Darned good suggestion Larry. :-) I would check with Mark F too.
May I pose this possibility? Let's say Tommy has a Beaudette front section and ends up with a Wilson rear section, how BADLY would the bodies and doors mesh together? Or worse still, a no name body and a XXXXXXX rear tub... If we all knew the little differences. Hah. I sure don't.
There have been questions here but I don't recall the results other than they are not exactly the same. ???
Thom, I have a short box pickup ;-) shown in my profile. It has a 45" long box and only as wide as the chassis/rear body/fender brackets would allow. Crap picture and most all others are longer boxes but for me with that 24, I like the tidy appearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Tommy, the side boards on my bed are 59 1/2 inches long and 9 inches high. The brackets supporting the wing boards have been bent down so that the wing boards are horizontal instead of angled. Although the current tilt bed was built for the prior owner in 2008, Betsy has been a pickup with horizontal wing boards for a long time, here are a couple of "before" pics prior to her restoration. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Maciej on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:45 am:

I bought a '17 touring with the back half of the body missing. I found a correct rear tub and bolted it to the frame body mounts. The wood frame rails were different from the front half to the rear half, but the doors lined up and closed well. I plan on building new frame rails to have a complete touring body. Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Turns out the car was not as advertised. I am going to pass on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:49 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/192280361626?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Randy Brown,

Can you post some more photos of the rumble seat? I'd like to see how it fits up with the body. And overall views from the side and back. That is very interesting and I have never see one before. It it something that was homemade or is it a factory accessory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Rick,
Here's a few more pics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

Sorry to hear it didn't work out Tommy.

Over the last few months I've saved a few cut off touring photos I've found on the net. Here are a couple unusual ones.

c2
c3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

A couple more
c4
c5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

and more
c6
c7

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Ray, welcome to the forum and thanks for that bit of info! I'm glad it worked out. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration