OT - DON'T WATCH the Eclipse!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - DON'T WATCH the Eclipse!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Saw a previous thread about planning to watch the eclipse... This is an example of what can happen. Welding glasses are NOT strong enough!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/man-71-burned-his-retina-looking- at-eclipse-as-a-teen-why-take-a-chance-with-your-eyes/ar-AAq9uNm?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid =SK2EDHP

The safest way to watch? Two pieces of paper with a hole punched in one, turn your back to the sun, then focus the sunlight through the punched hole onto the second piece of paper. You'll see how much of the sun is covered from the moon's shadow. Be smart.... Keep your eyes healthy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

I've said it before & I'll say it again...ALL you need is two pieces of paper..one with a small sharp hole in it to then shine through to the solid piece! You'll get a g ood image of the eclipse. Especially the majority of us who will only see the partial. And we WON'T damage our eyes either! I did this decades ago as a kid & it worked great. Too much hype over this eclipse anyway!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

They always say that the flash from welding is brighter than the sun, so how can your welding shield not be strong enough? I have looked up at the sun on many occasions with my shield and there was no problem it works great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

A number 16 welding glass works just fine. Used it the last time we had an eclipse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

I too have used the paper trick, and it works well. Play with it a bit to get the hole size and clean cut to your satisfaction first.
I also simply use a magnifying glass. Same idea. Held back about a foot, you will get a focused upside-down image in excellent clarity on a smooth white painted metal surface. No magnification doing that, just a focused image. Don't believe me? Try it with a ceiling lamp in your house. The image is a bit small, but clear enough to see the screws that hold the glass in place.
If you want a magnified clear image of the eclipse? That is gonna cost ya. Don't let it cost you your eyesight.
There should be several such images available online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I'm way too busy so i'll skip this one and look at the next!! That's a joke only a joke!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

There's another coming in 2024 so you only have to wait seven years. We in Texas will get a full eclipse view then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

Tennessee schools are closing as well as businesses from Knoxville to Chattanooga Tn. My employees asked again today if we were going to be closed.Just a bit ridiculous. I will see it but I won't sit and stare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:33 am:

Old mans dumb question; What's there to watch?
Its not a vidio ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:41 am:

What's to watch? You get to see all the pagan women dance around naked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Tim...seriously? Pretty sad when an event such as this has priority over education. I'm sorry, but this is just plain stupid. I just hope that not too many people are visually injured down the road with what appears to be a market of inferior, if not scam-quality, "eclipse glasses". They found some and took 'em off the market, but how many are gonna get through? IF I even bother at all, I'll use my "paper trick" thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:26 am:

33 years ago when I was 19 an older coworker handed me a welding mask to watch the eclipse. Was not a problem. Do not even wear eyeglasses to date!

Your eyeballs may vary,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:52 am:

I was thinking about looking at the eclipse with welding goggles I recently inherited from my late neighbor.

Earlier this week I did some research. You can/will damage your eyes if the lens is anything less than a shade 12 but shade 13 (hard to find) or shade 14 is recommended.

My welding goggles have shade 5 glass so I won't be looking at the eclipse.

Also, stacking lenses in hopes of achieving the equivalent of a shade 12 can damage your eyes if you don't know what you are doing. Simply adding the shade numbers to equal 12 or more is not how it actually works. It involves a formula, not simple addition.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

I've used my welding helmet with a #12 lens and had no problem, but I didn't stare at it for 20 seconds though either. Look in, look out, that's all you need to do to see what's going on. That was about 35 years ago. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

After all, they are YOUR eyes....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

FYI have your flashlight available. Remember to have your batteries charged. At some point along the path of the eclipse those solar panels will stop charging. At some location alone the path of the eclipse, the maximum duration of totality for this eclipse will be 2 minutes and 40 seconds. It will be difficult to locate a black Model T in a coal bin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

I looked up stacking lens on the web and found a formula. Basically is said Shade #1( as in lens #1) + shade #2 (as in lens #2)- 1= the # of the stack.
Here is link to what I found
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.crafts.metalworking/rjyeFrVlxJM

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

I think the original caution was that goggles use for acetylene welding are not strong enough. A #13 or darker filter is good. We had a local TV station run an announcement that it was OK to look directly at the eclipse for a few moments with out eye protection, and that you could not really experience it fully with out taking the protection off. I wrote to them and pointed out that this was irresponsible to make such an announcement and they have not run it again. The news man meant that it was safe to view the eclipse with out protection during the few moments of totality, but neglected to mention that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:37 am:

I swear to God, I don't know how some of you aren't too scared to get out of bed in the mornings for fear of what might happen. I'm watching the eclipse. I'm using a welding helmet. If I go blind, I'll let you guys know. Truth be known, watching the eclipse will probably kill you. Probably won't happen immediately, and could take several years to happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Hal is right, everyone who witnessed the Great Eclipse of 1806 is now dead.
Best to stay indoors and close the shutters Monday!
I'll be at Ferne Clyffs State Park in Illinois watching the eclipse with a welding lens.

40 years of welding, staring at melting rods and wire that will cast a shadow on a sunny day and I'm not blind---yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 09:53 am:

The time I flew my Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun I used my welding helmet. So far so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Dale M,
Youre so vain, I'll bet you think this thread is about you....!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Don't you? Don't you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Now, I'm gonna have that tune rattlin-round in me umptee haaad!
-Meanwhile-
Take Care; Behave; (and) Don't Shoot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

I read a piece this morning from what purports to be a legitimate news source claiming that this upcoming eclipse is all a faked money grab perpetrated by the goggle industry or some such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

I think the eclipse is just a sign of things to come. What do you expect when we abuse our sun like we do? Just look at all the solar farms popping up everywhere. The sun was never intended to be used to generate electricity. With all these solar farms, we are using up the sun at an alarming rate. We need to stop this immediately and leave some sun for future generations. Why must we be so greedy? If we keep on with these solar farms, there will be a perpetual eclipse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Amen Hal, Amen.
Stop Sun Abuse Now,use a flashlight~!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Well, the sun is about half way used up at this point- it is about 5 billion years old and will burn itself out about another 5 billion years from now. When it does finally exhaust all its fuel it will swell up and engulf the inner planets before imploding into a burnt out cinder.

Of greater "immediate" concern is the quality of future eclipses!

The moon is slowly escaping the earth's gravitational pull and moving farther away (about 1.5 inches per year). In a few hundred thousand generations it will be too far away to totally occult the solar disk and future eclipses will be pretty lame, like a ping-pong ball passing in front of a basket ball, both at arms length.

BUT it is not all doom and gloom!

As the sun expands, its atmosphere will place a drag on the moon (and earth) and cause it to swing back to earth until it gets caught in its gravitational pull and when it gets about 12,000 miles above the planet it will be torn apart to form a ring like Saturn's- at least the small stuff will- the rest will rain down in a spectacular light show that would surely extinguish all life on earth- if its oceans and atmosphere hadn't already boiled away into space millions of years earlier.

Oh, Wait, I guess it is....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

OK, that was fun while it lasted. I'm not blind, but I understand it takes 12 hours to find out if you're blind, so maybe I should report back tomorrow. The "Everything gets quiet" thing is true. I noticed here in the office everything got quiet. I looked out the window. It was starting to get dark. I went outside and found out why it was so quiet. Everyone was out THERE. To no avail. Too cloudy to see anything. Of course, the safety nuts were all warning you could still go blind even if you were looking through clouds, so I guess there is still hope. Or maybe hope isn't the word....... Whatever. If it was this bad up in Charleston, I'm glad I didn't take a vacation day, spend $300 on a hotel room and drive in that traffic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

Oh, btw, all my coworkers got a kick out me carrying my welding helmet outside when it was about to pour rain. I threw it on the seat of the car while I was out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

dale w,

I suppose next you'll say there's no Santa Claus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 04:32 pm:

Hal when I was young I burned my eyes welding. I was not taking any chances today. I took my welding helmet to work today so I would be safe. I ran off the road 3 times in the 1st mile going to work so I had to take the darn thing off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 04:35 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Well I didn't "watch it" persay,I took advantage of the 1 degree decrease in tempurture to do my yard work! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Dallas, about 15 years ago I worked in a shop where one of the other employees, who was completely deaf, burned his eyes welding. He left work early, driving home with a welding helmet on.

Nearly blind, and completely deaf... I'm glad I wasn't on the road at the same time he was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

I had not looked into this thread for a couple days. Neat stuff! All these new developments in astrophysics, bringing about newer and better calculations timing what has happened, and what will happen when? Interesting stuff. A few months ago, there were several reports that indicated that our Milky Way galaxy is on a collision course with the Andromeda galaxy, and that we may be on the leading edge of the collision (I wonder if they factored in the Milky Way's spin maybe moving us around out of the way in time?). If this is true, even before our sun expands in preparation for its implosion, we may have to dodge rogue stars and planets pummeling our poor little Earth!
Ah well. As I expected.The eclipse was somewhat anti-climactic. But I still watched if, because I find all this stuff interesting.
Back to model Ts! Something I can rely on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

The eclipse was pretty cool here in Hillsboro, MO. We had perfect viewing conditions and over 2 1/2 minutes of totality, although it seemed shorter.

The predicted crush of visitors and traffic didn't materialize, the folks hoping to make a killing charging for parking spots were disappointed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Ok, here's what it looks like thru #14 welders with a camera that does not know how to focus under those conditions. The sun even smiled for the photo op.
Vern
eclipse #14 lens

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

You won't know until tomorrow.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/did-you-hurt-your-eyes-by-looking -at-the-solar-eclipse-you-wont-know-until-tomorrow/ar-AAquUms?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SK 2EDHP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

Must be getting to old------All the hype did not shine my wire as much as some of the TV I seen with folks beating on drums. The most interesting part was how close the timing was and how close the area of travel was weeks before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

In the 70s we had an eclipse, and I remember all the kids on the playground staring at it through discarded colored burrito wrappers...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

I have a #11 lens in my welding hood. I added a #4 burning/accety welding lens to give me a #15 total. I took it with me to town as I needed to go to the hardware store. I was out in the "Popeyes" chicken restaurant parking lot when the eclipse took place. Here in Arkansas we only had 90% eclipse. Everyone in the restaurant including all the workers wanted to see the eclipse so I left the hood with them as I order my lunch from the workers who went back to work :-) Probably going to be a bunch of blind fast food workers tomorrow .:-( :-( but they did enjoy the show ... Oh yea. I was a Boilermaker welder for over 30 years. I always used a #10 lens. (#11 if the safety man made me) Im not blind yet, with thousands of hours under the hood ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

I shot it on film, so I don't know yet whether I had a good time. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

This is my attempt through #5 welding filter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

I took a direct gander for a few seconds thru a welding helmet at full eclipse earlier today in Spokane - I was at Antique Auto Ranch.

Now I can't see a d@mn thing .....

Of course it' s 9:40 pm in. Missoula ......

Hey .....

Maybe that has something to do with it .....

FreighTer Jim
Blinded By The Light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

I asked my kindergartner what she did today in school. She said that they couldn't play outside very long because of the "clipse"!

Good to know that I left my daughter in good hands!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 12:03 am:

My photo SHOULD have looked like Vern's, only upside down from his up/out here in greater MN. Didn't work out.
Gramma and I looked many times thru my old welding helmet (prolly a 10 or 12 lense) around 1:05 today.
I used the papers/pinhole method back in the 70's and it worked great! Today, neither of us were able to do it right. ?
My eyes aren't scratchy/sore yet like a welding flash burn. Yet.
Chris, you went South. Very nice picture!
FJ :-)
Matt. Wha?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 07:18 am:

OK, I can confirm that heavy cloud cover is DEFINITELY sufficient to prevent "Eclipse Blindness" even when viewing with no eye protection. I am able to see as well today as yesterday. I know some of you were worried, and a couple of you may have even been hoping, but I'm not blind this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 07:32 am:

We were in the path. Joy looked at the projection made by a pinhole in a box. she didn't trust the glasses. We survived the predicted 500,000 extra people to our 58,292 town with no major problems. We drove the T around town to see folks gathered and tents pitched.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 08:02 am:

Richard,

Your images accurately depict the surrealism of the eclipse on the area around you - very nicely done !

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Thanks Jim. My wife took this one:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Well, I did take a trip from Michigan to Illinois see the eclipse through my welding lens.
We Tried to go to a state park near Carbondale, (Ferne Clyffs) but about 500 folks had the same Idea!
turned around, went to a church up on a hilltop down the road that was hosting an eclipse party and we parked there in their field. Another fella showed up and parked next to us from Chicago with an 8" refractor telescope. and we watched it through that as it started, then we switched to direct observation. As the shadow raced towards us we could see the clouds going dark near our horizon, then WOW! it was as if all the lights in a stadium went out. Everyone around us gasped. The birds and cicadids instantly started singing and buzzing and the temperature dropped perceptively.
Looking up at the total eclipse was so unlike the normal everyday sky, I got the feeling that I was looking at something from the vantage point of standing on an alien world in another planetary system.
It was 2 minutes and 40 seconds of eerie, unworldly gloaming and calm until the sun came out from the shadow and the crowd erupted into applause and cheers.
We had a nice late-ish lunch there then attempted to get back to our hotel room. It took us 3 hours to go 40 miles because traffic was bumper to bumper all along I-57 for 60 miles.

I didnt think I had done any damage to my eyes, BUT this morning when I got up at my usual time around daylight, everything seemed darker than normal and much to my horror I realized I couldnt see very far in front of me.

OH NO! All my friends had warned me to not use a welding lens as I could go blind! Come to think of it, even my own sainted mother repeatedly warned me that some day I was going to go blind, but for another, totally different reason...

After fretting for a few moments and contemplating what kind of leader dog I should get and what cool name to give it, I realized my biological and mechanical clocks were still on Michigan (Eastern) Time and Illinois is on Central Time. I had simply gotten up an hour too early and the sun hadnt risen and lit up the place yet!

Whew! Another crisis averted...

7 years until the next total eclipse , and it will pass by Cleveland Ohio. I guess I can take in an eclipse and the Rock & Roll museum at the same time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Dale! LOL!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration