Video of my rebuilt '23 chassis ... first start with starter.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Video of my rebuilt '23 chassis ... first start with starter.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Been years since I uploaded a youtube video ... but here ya go. My first T with a starter motor ... and first trip out of the driveway. Sorry about the title .. evidently I didn't quite get where I should enter that on the youtube site. My expertise is pre-1900 photographic technique. :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NlcYAiPi1ys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Here is the first drive ... just around the block.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L69XZUdj_Zk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Sweet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Ha ... I figured out where the title box is for uploading. Was hard to see on my phone. Now they are also posted with the right descriptive title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

Mark

That's is just plain fun looking!

Very well done, and nice sounding putt purr from the exhaust too, ah...so good :-)

Just like a T should be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Great videos! Nice looking neighborhood, too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

For those who have followed my posts you know I've had some interesting glitches since I first took this "original" car apart in November. The last time I did this was back in the 1980s when I rebuilt the chassis for my 1919 T. Back then there was no internet and I took the engine apart and reassembled it on the dirt floor of the machine building on the family farm. I even poured my own rod bearings. That engine never gave me any problems over the years and I only replaced the rings last year. I hope this engine will be as reliable. I drove my other T in city traffic every decent day ... to work and on weekends.

I recharged the magnets and I first test started this engine by hand crank and battery! After starting it like that and running the engine with the rear wheels propped up, I installed the starter motor which I only cleaned and straightened the shaft with a lead hammer. Have never had a T with a starter. That video shows the very first try with the electric starter and set on magneto. Amazing ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Love it !! Brings back memories of my very first T drive. The smells and sounds are music :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Looking good Mark and sounding great!!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

That's awesome! The little turkey sure runs good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

It starts up easily now and runs very nicely. I'm running with a T W timer and am experimenting with the adjustments. I do hear a slight knocking (at least I think I do) if I advance the spark on this engine the way I drove my last T. On the last one I had an Anderson timer. But ... as it's been mentioned many times ... each T is different and I'll have to get used to this ones personality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

Great sounding T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Sounds really nice. Keep up the good work. Maybe when I retire and go on a long long drive I will have to stop to see you and the Kodak Museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

I do hear a little knocking in high gear when I accelerate and advance the spark. Never had one of these TW timers before. So, I think I'm advancing it too far. A different feel than my 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Sounds wonderful

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

Mark, congratulations, I'll let the boys in blue at work know that your back on the city streets! It will be sweet with that wood PU box!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration