OT flash powder test for photography

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT flash powder test for photography
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Since I was uploading two videos of my initial running tests of the model T ... I also posted one of me testing flash powder for the PBS / BBC program How We got to Now. Ha ... I just realized I posted it as How We Got to There. Anyway ... gives you a taste of what my job is here at the George Eastman Museum in Rochester, NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzIRu47VjZ8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Mark, OT or not, that was bright with a second flash when you tossed the remains down!! Wow!
Would you tell a bit about the powder and the ignitor?
Perhaps that history channel car program got something correct? A photographer had trouble igniting the powder and needed to "flick" the mechanism a couple-three times to get it to go off.
More importantly ;-), how long do I have to wait for PBS to air How We Got To Now?
I'd bet there's a lot of cool surrounding your job. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

That series already aired. Here is a ink to some of the Light episode I worked on that includes flash powder. There are different systems for early flash. This type involves a small metallic cartridge with a percussion cap. The handle has a spring loaded release that hits the bottom of the catridge. This ignites a small amount of black powder spread along the flash tray. Upon the black powder is spread either aluminum or magnesium powder. The choice is based on the spectral sensitivity of the plates you are shooting.

The flashes we did for the series were performed at the Navy ship yard in New York City. It was raining that night and the atmospheric has a strong effect on this system. The RH made our flashes go from woof. ... to bang on occasion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VFaPy2Ye0kU

If you watch the whole episode I am interviewed ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 11:12 am:

Mark, please forgive me if this constitutes thread drift.

You know how utube gives a list of suggested (and related) videos to follow the one you are watching ? Well, after watching your initial link in which you set off the flash powder, the next video was,

"The Best Way to Sear a Steak (Hint: We Use a Secret Ingredient)".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Mark

I was told that Eastman Kodak located in Rochester NY because it was the largest dark room in the world.

There is a rumor that the sun came out a few weeks ago and the locals that were outside got bad sunburns because they were not acclimated to the sun.
I also heard that many of them thought it was a fireball from a North Korea attack and were hurt when they tried to jump into the Genesee river.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

Ha ... well, actually we have plenty of sun here in Rochester. Very pleasant weather here most of the time. A long winter but not a hard one. Eastman Kodak was started here simply because Eastman lived here. There were also many manufacturers of camera related apparatus including lenses at the time here in the city.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration