Brass carb cleaning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brass carb cleaning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

I have a Johnson model 243 updraft carb I'm rebuilding. It came apart easily, I found rebuild instructions and new float etc. I would like to clean the body of the carb. Make it look shiny. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Is it a brass carb? If so, I like to lightly grit blast them, or LIGHTLY wire wheel them, then "polish" them using brass polish and a toothbrush. It doesn't get it to shine brightly, but makes it look like a new casting. Wire wheeling to make a bright finish does not look good to my eye.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

Jerry it is brass, yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

A good alternative is brass case cleaner liquid, its available from any gunshop, its used to clean fired cases before reloading. Works like a charm and doesn't etch the brass. I believe the main component is phosforic acid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

I use glass beads, gives them a nice soft glow.
Ok yes this a link to my ad on ebay but I included before and after photos;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222612840445?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m15 55.l2649

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration