Found a treasure today. Early Heinz starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Found a treasure today. Early Heinz starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Check out this beauty! Does anyone have and info on it? What does the switch look like that goes to it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Have fun. It included a small dash mounted instrument panel.

https://books.google.com/books?id=6nVIAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA109&dq=johl+heinze+Starter+f ord&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEgPCT39zVAhWq7IMKHaLnDKEQ6AEIMDAC#v=onepage&q=johl%20 heinze%20Starter%20ford&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=68YAAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA6-PA34&dq=heinze+springfield +ford+cranking&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwh9Tt39zVAhVm3IMKHUdKBHcQ6AEIQzAG#v=onepag e&q=heinze%20springfield%20ford%20cranking&f=false

Google books search with all results from 1909 through 1927:

https://www.google.com/search?q=heinze+springfield+ford+cranking&hl=en&source=ln t&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F1909%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F31%2F1927&tbm=bks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

My Friend, Mr. Google found these:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1266682.pdf

https://books.google.com/books?id=UR5aAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1345&lpg=PA1345&dq=heinze+st art+and+lighting+system+33&source=bl&ots=jQT1a-pM7z&sig=93UV2BNylRvVzoPBCbSkGsnQ 56E&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7NvE4dzVAhVY6GMKHRYwCC4Q6AEIKzAC#v=onepage&q=heinze% 20start%20and%20lighting%20system%2033&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=RauEAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA245&lpg=PA245&dq=heinze+star t+and+lighting+system+33&source=bl&ots=u2q-NpKOvj&sig=NO5-XLaCKXUzLY5ZeiQb8Yi6yo c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7NvE4dzVAhVY6GMKHRYwCC4Q6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=heinze%20 start%20and%20lighting%20system%2033&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=68YAAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA6-PA34&lpg=RA6-PA34&dq=heinz e+start+and+lighting+system+33&source=bl&ots=pPdqRjTTOH&sig=AYG0s5hzzQj7UX9y98F0 jNayjGo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiC7NvE4dzVAhVY6GMKHRYwCC4Q6AEIMDAE#v=onepage&q=hei nze%20start%20and%20lighting%20system%2033&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Erik types faster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

Here's a switch for it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Circa-Heinze-Lighting-Ignition-Switch-Oil-Pressure- Model-T-Ford-Speedster-R-/253086676402?epid=943384340&hash=item3aed2435b2:g:~KIA AOSw4YdY0E7y&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Should have an ammeter instead of the oil pressure gauge shown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Why? neither gauge would be of any use on an early block that the starter would be good for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:27 pm:

Jack Putnam has one (I am pretty sure it is a Heinze) on one of his Model T's and it is working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

Frank:

If you have a combination starter-generator system such as the Heinze shown, you would also have a storage battery as part of the system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Thanks for all the responses. I don't know what my plans are for it yet. I think it's a pretty cool piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Hope you got a bargain on it! Seems like it would add a lot of weight to a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

That's quite a self-commencer! It must be Jack's T that Bud Delong showed me at the OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Ed and all,i could very well be wrong but i think Jack has a Dayton winder upper??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Erik,
Yes, my bad, I see now that it is combined, but looking at the timing gear cover, it looks like it's for a generator block. Interesting that one would opt for one of these systems of original Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Yes I have a working Hienze-Springfield starter dynamo in working order. It is installed on my 1914. I have researched this accessory and it is great. If you need help with yours contact me. Jack.

Heinze

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Sorry Jack its been a few years.Was said starter made in Dayton Ohio?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Never seen one before. Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Hi Ken: The starter was made in Springfield Ohio, not far from Dayton. Production later moved to Detroit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Jack - Any pictures of it installed in the car? Amazed all of that fits underneath a hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Here is the Heinze-Springfield starter installed in my 1914. It is a tight fit and the hood barely clears when closed.

heinze-springfield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Jack, How do you get a water pump to fit? Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:11 am:

It looks like it replaces the front timing cover on a generator engine which doesn't make much sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Jeff-
It is for a non-generator engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Here's the back side of mine, showing the gasket surface where it fits to a non-generator block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:01 am:

The patent number listed above shows a file date of 1916 and patent date of 1918. This model must of been made post 1919 as a dual application model. I see why there are so few out there. They had maybe 2 years before ford came out with their own starter and generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 10:34 am:

That certainly is a possibility Jeff, though it goes against what I've been told about the starter. It makes sense though

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration