Quietest muffler?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Quietest muffler?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

I got a stainless exhaust pipe and muffler set a few years back. Although I would/Will likely appreciate their longevity, I'm never been happy with the volume of the muffler.

Is that much consensus on what folks might consider the 'quietest efficient muffler, that doesn't create too much back pressure?

Mine is a '22 rebuilt engine, I believe, but no 'hop ups'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Just my opinion:

Model Ts with the earlier stock muffler that includes a tailpipe sound quieter to me than Model Ts with the later, snub end stock muffler (no tailpipe).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

I run a Thrush high flow 2" ID, 14" long muffler. I use a stock pipe. Nice mellow sound, not loud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

If the inner passages are the correct size then it will make a Model T sound. This is not a RR, it's a Model T and some noise is part of the joy of ownership. :-)That being said, I am now running a tractor muffler and it has a long tail pipe. I do not know what the number is or where is was gotten in the first place. It was on a car a friend bought and he gave it to me. My old muffler was just getting too burnt out. It sounded fine but was blowing out all the joints and I was more worried about blowing sparks out and starting a fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

I run stock mufflers on all my T's early and late. They are all quiet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

I use FO-11 Ford tractor mufflers on my T's and have for many years. They're straight-through, but not loud. Straight-thru = no back pressure. They are 1-1/2" inlet and outlet, same as a stock T muffler. They're available at farm stores, by special order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Yeah...i'm not expecting anything super quiet... but the t's at Greenfield Village (albeit a whole lot better mechanics there!)... seem quiet a bit quieter. You can have a conversation with the driver.... let alone a passenger next to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

I enjoy the best of both worlds. A stock T muffler and a genuine, original, factory (someone's factory anyway), unauthorized exhaust cut-out on my T's. There's times I feel like being loud and other times more like a church mouse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

I have stock style mufflers on my Ts and they are not loud but seem louder than my A models with stock exhuast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

By stock.... do you call mean stock for you car.... or engine, at least? There are several typsmes... all metal and welded... wrapped metal with cast... or pressed metal ends, 'asbestos ' wrap, etc...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:04 am:

Google "mtfca; muffler" I am sure you will get all types of different types that can be used. Close to stock would be the tractor type with a tailpipe there will be strings in the past that will give numbers and places to buy.

While ends construction type material may differ, a tail pipe may be present or not, or they are wrapped they all have about the same size holes inside. The modern tractor type might give you the quiet you are looking for and maintain a somewhat stock look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Dennis, before you spend money on a replacement, take the end off your existing one and check that the inner baffle is in the right way around. Its hole should be towards the front of the car. If it has the hole to the rear, the exhaust gasses have a much shorter path through the muffler, and the noise will be louder.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:37 am:

I took the 2 inner baffles OUT of the repro muffler on the 18 (cast iron ends-original?) so I could hear it and it's almost loud enough but I'm used to the 24 with a 2-1/4" drive shaft for an exhaust pipe. I can hear them both now. Well, the 18? Just. If I turn my head just right... :-) I left the outer tube in place. He's pretty quiet.
These little buggers are very quiet with a proper muffler and yet I remember another fellow remarking how his T, with what I guessed a correct muffler was "too loud".
I'm a stickler for running the correct mix on any gas engine so that taints my opinion. :-)
And I'm deaf as a stump. :-)
Dennis, my repro regular steel stuff is 30 years old/brand new.
Wait a minute (I sound like David Byrne), Mark O's T seems to be plenty loud.
What am "I" missing?
While I have been typing, Allan may have the answer.
Yet, I have 2 inner baffles laying in the parts bin. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Stock is stock period! You can do what you wish. As I mentioned, I have 100% stock Ford mufflers on all of my cars, and they are quiet. Of course the 1920-27 mufflers use a special exhaust pipe, and they are difficult to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Stoc is stock... kinda. As i mentioned above, Henry came up with several iterations of a stock muffler. My question was which one is quietest.... also knowing, that's proba ly more of a personal opinion for most.

My beast is far from a museum piece, but I am trying to keep a decent incarnation of a '24-ish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

"Stock is stock period! You can do what you wish."

All this "original" talk wears thin when coming from someone who has a Scat crank and high-compression head on his T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

.....also,.....not to mention aluminum pistons, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

I wish I had a high compression head on my '25! I would like to find a Ricardo head to make it go faster. Other than that, my '25 is the sweetest running T I know of, with a stock crank too. I do admit to having aluminum pistons and modern valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

What about your '13, Larry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Now back to the subject at the top!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I run a FO 11 from rural king and an angled tail pipe from pep boys with universal hanger and clamps. Keeps fumes out of the passenger compartment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

I just ordered a stock muffler from Snyder's to replace the generic one that came on my car. Looking forward to it sounding like a "T" and not a Toyota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Which flavor did you get? Cast ends, pressed, etc??

Maybe take a before and after video??

Hmmm... come to think of it... I have a trouble meter app on my phone........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Many may not be aware of this, but the 1920-27 exhaust pipes are actually part of the muffler. I made a run of 50 of these pipes about a year ago, and the sold right away. It was a lot of work, and even though the way I had the bead done wasn't the way Ford did it, the people who bought them seem to be happy, I hope. I only wish that someone with lots of $$$$ could do it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 09:27 am:

Dave Dunn ... how did your muffler Chang go? Which flavor T do you have now... a Ford T or a Toyota?

I'm mostly considering standard steel end muffler vs cast end... noise wise. I might indeed just go with a tractor type, though, if actually quieter... at least for daily driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:43 am:

The stock Model A muffler seems to have a nice "ring" sound to it that I find to be a very pleasant sound. The Model T never seems to have this distinctive "ring" that the Model A has. I wonder if anyone has ever adapted a Model A muffler to a Model T, and, if so, I wonder if it then produces the same pleasant "ring" sound to the Model T exhaust that is always present on the Model A,...??? Anyone ever tried it???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Dennis, the muffler change was a piece of cake, 15 minutes start to finish. My T now sounds like a T should. I used the steel case muffler from Snyder's. It's quiet, the car is a pleasure to drive with no exhaust leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Good news! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 04:50 am:

Larry, even though those exhaust pipes weren't "exactly" the way ford made them, they are way better than any others out there. As far as I'm concerned, they are made as "right" as they need to be. I hope you will make another run of them in the future, or at least give someone else a chance to. I think the way that you made the "bulge"(for lack of a better name), was a stroke of genius. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 01:58 am:

This is for Harold. My friend Bob has a 27 Tudor with A crank, A cam and A exhaust manifold. He uses a Model A muffler and IMHO it sounds more like a Model A than a Model A, if that is possible. Very chirpy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, September 10, 2017 - 03:02 am:

Well,.....thanks for that Tom! Always wondered how the exhaust of a Model T would sound with an "A" muffler. Of course, the "A" crank, cam and manifold might add something too, but I would suspect that it's mostly the "A" muffler. Thanks again Tom,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:07 am:

Well, worked on my muffler setup a bit more diligently last weekend.... in the process, took the muffler right out and 're-negotiated' the mounting flange, as well as the input pipe. The inlet and end of drop pipe never did fit very well, so cut slits on the inlet pipe, and flared it out a bit (didn't have a good fitting swedge). The inlet finally sits enough over the drop pipe so the muffler clamp can get a goodngrip, and seals properly. While out, I stuck a flashlight in the tailpipe end and saw that the muffler is basically a through-pipe, with little appendages sticking into the airway, as baffles. So, not suprise g that it sounds the way it does. With the inlet setting properly on the drop pie, and the mounting flange adjusted to accommodate, at least most of the sound is going out the tailpipe.... and not the drop pipe , now.

I'll likely order a stock muffler next spring and see how it sounds.

Thamks, all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 07:40 am:

We had a member in our chapter that had a local muffler shop fix him up. They installed a Dodge Neon muffler with a tail pipe. It is very quiet and keeps the soot off the axle and such.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, September 21, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Interesting topic. When I am driving in my neighborhood here in Rochester I can't wait to shift to high so that I can cruise with the least sound of the engine. Most of my neighbors like the T, but every once and awhile there is a detractor walking their dog at a place where I'm at high revs in low gear to get enough head way to shift. The '23 is breaking in nicely and I've been tweaking the carburetor and feeling the spark adjustments so that now I can drive at very low speeds with a smooth and quiet engine. Climbing a hill while slowly gaining speed is always going to be a little loud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration