3D model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 3D model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rodolfo damaggio on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

I'm just looking for some clarification on Model T colors late 1900's , I know that from 1917 to 24/23 they were all painted black from factory, but someone on the post suggested that a lot of owners painted their cars after they bought it.
I find it hard to believe since there's no color photos to back it up this claim.
Also occasionally someone finds an old car from those years in green or dark blue paint (although these could have been painted years later in the 40's 50's and so on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rodolfo damaggio on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 11:52 pm:

Unfortunately my pictures didn't load up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 01:35 am:

All basic production model T Fords from 1914 until the end of 1925 model year were basic black. A few exceptions. A few enclosed (coupes and center-door sedans) cars from 1915 until 1918 MAY have been dark blue or dark green. Even most of those were apparently black. TT trucks were usually customized to some extent. Ford did not provide a body for them at all until 1924. This was because the user's needs all too often required some special outfitting. Therefore, they could have been painted almost any color. Speedsters and racing cars had either home-made or custom after-market bodies and were offered in several colors.
Some people did have their new Ford custom painted. Somewhere I have an original black and white photo of a circa 1920 center-door sedan that clearly has a custom paint job, along with several after-market accessories, including steel disc wheels. However, this practice was rare.

Color photography during the 1920s did exist. However, it was very expensive and rarely used. Also, the color quality wasn't very consistent. Very few original era color photos exist of automobiles. Color photography started becoming more common in the later 1930s. Big budget movies began using it in the very late 1930s also. The USA government used it quite a bit during WWII. However, it was the 1950s before it began being used by the common folk across the land. Even then, it tended to be expensive, and B&W was still the film of choice for many people clear into the 1970s
So, finding an original era color photograph of a model T is unlikely. There may be a few available on the internet, but I do not know of any.
Colorized photos do show up occasionally. However they were usually artistically done by hand, and there is little if any correlation between the original subject, and the finished picture.

In 1926 and 1927, Ford did offer several colors on the new improved model Ts. Original era color photos of them are also rare. Many original era advertisements can be found of the improved model Ts, showing the colors. They also were generally not true color photographs. Most were artistically done.

I am not sure what you are looking for. In the "late 1900's"? Most model Ts were 50 to 80 years old, and had been restored at least once. At that point, they could have been any color at the owner's whim. And thousands of photos could be had from the internet. But in the model T era? Except for the early and last years on a model T, black was the rule.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rodolfo damaggio on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 01:50 am:

Thanks for the detailed explanation Wayne, I meant to say late 1910's to be correct.
I guess the only way to see if a car was painted in BW would be if the color was very light ,like yellow, white or beige.
I did find on the forum a post with a Canadian color swatches from those years that might have had the dark green and blues, I was just trying to double check once more, is my first post in the forum and I have modeled a 3D roadster 1917 and C cab pickup 1924.
Thank you so much for the help.
Any chance of uploading that 1920 sedan photo u have?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration