1926/7 distributor volkswagon points setting Gap.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926/7 distributor volkswagon points setting Gap.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 05:05 am:

Hi folks my 26/7 roadster p/u has a volkswagon distributor could someone be able to tell me what gap the points are set too. Many thanks Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 05:50 am:

My guess would be .015". (15 thou)
Alan in Western Australia
PS Had a coffee with Tom Stevens today. He fllys back to NZ
on Saturday

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:00 am:

As a rule of thumb... half of your spark plug gap. I have been doing it that way since the 50's with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:57 am:

I have a Texas T setup. The instructions say .015-.020 thousandths. It makes a very noticeable difference when set at .015 vs .020. Mine runs best at .015

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Steve, I never new that! Good to keep in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

My Dad always used a matchbook cover...single thickness for the point gap, and folded over (doubled) for the plugs. I never mic-ed a matchbook cover to see if it was ~.015 or not, but his "feeler gauge" sure worked for a good many vehicles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Hi folks many thanks for your help. So that makes it Plugs.030 and points 0.15 Many thanks Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

That's quite a spread for a point setting. I can see how it would run differently from one end to the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

The old Volkswagens specify 0.016"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Hi folks many thanks have set plugs 30 and points 16 and she runs like a dream ,thank you all for your most valued knowledge you are a great team .Cheers Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:03 am:

Not that I would switch to a distributor. I like the buzzing of coils.I do have a question though. I remember VW Bosch disyributors having some retard built into them to reduce the overheating of #3 cylinder on air-cooled VWs. I can't remember the amount of retard. Are the distributors used in T's the same way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

I am quite sure all VW distributors for the Bug had a 2 degree advance on number 3. Number 3 was hidden behind the oil cooler and got less cooling air.
After getting the engine hot climbing a long hill and backing off the accelerater going down the other side the number 3 cylinder would be so hot and suddenly cool down from less cumbustion temp and the exhaust guide would cool faster than the valve and it would grab the ex valve and hold it open so the piston could hit it. I have seen dozens of bugs and busses that dropped number 3 valve.
Advancing the spark on that cylinder was thought to make it run a little cooler. Maybe it did, maybe it helped.
VW bus guys would get a good run at a hill and ease up a little just before the top and then accelerate a little when starting down the other side to keep the engine from cooling too quick.
That should not have enough effect on the T engine to make difference.
The problem came when the distributor was in a half turn off and numer 3 lobe was firing number one.
So when you set the timing on number one cylinder that made the other three 2 degrees retarded. That caused a stumble on low speed acceleration.
So get a distributed cam from a type 3 VW,
I never noticed a problem with that when using a Bosch distributor in a T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration