Alternator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Alternator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:25 am:

I put a replacement alternator on my T. I accidentally touched the alternator body with the wire that go's to it. Now it's not charging. Did I fry it t? Yes your right I should have gone with a generator!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:40 am:

Might have "blown" a diode any "Good" shop should be able to fix that inexpensively! now for the bad news... most shops these days don't fix alternators and if they do they want to ask What is the application meaning what make and model car did this alternator come out of originally, without that bit of information they give you a blank look!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Franko on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Thank you! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:55 am:

There are plenty of automotive electrical shops around. You just have to look. It might take a little drive to get there though. The Model T guys I know running alternators who have problems with them take 'em to a shop about 50 miles way. They deal with magnetos and starters as well. Used them many times. Very reasonable as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:46 am:

It's not too difficult to disassemble the alternator to check/replace diodes, brushes, etc. The internal voltage regulator is a different deal, and may be the source of your problem, good luck. jb

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration