I'm 26 and bought my first Model T, 1913 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I'm 26 and bought my first Model T, 1913 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cordell Young on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Hey y'all. My name is Cord Young and I'm from Texas.I bought a 1913 touring back in March. I had wanted a T for years and finally found the right one. I joined the mtfca soon after. Just letting y'all know that there are some of us younger ones interested in the Model T. With my age comes a lack of knowledge and experience though. I have primarily worked on the first generation Mustangs. The Model T is an entirely different world for me. As I work on the car I'm sure I'll have questions. I look forward to my time with the mtfca and will be more than grateful for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Welcome Cord

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

John,
That's great, Congratulations, Good luck.
Any pictures???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

John: If you do not have it get the Ford Service Book. Look for a BLUE hard copy if you can. If not find the green soft reprint. Good luck Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Welcome !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Two newbies in a row, that's great John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Welcome to the insane affliction John! I say that with tongue in cheek, it's the greatest hobby on earth. And it's great to see young people getting into the Model T hobby! I gave up 50 years of boating for this, and have no regrets! I too have a '13 touring, and is my favorite car next to my '12 commercial roadster pickup. Wish we lived closer, we could ram-rod around together with our "twin cars"! :-)
Oh yeh, send pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

As we like to say around here, welcome to the affliction. You're not alone. While there are a lot of us geezers, there are enough young ones here to keep the average age down to about 59. You're right about the T being different. There's no other car like it. It's relatively simple, but contains some surprises. You may have already seen these, but in case you haven't, here they are:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG52.html

And yes, we do like pictures. Let's see that touring.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

It's like working on a big go cart!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cordell Young on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

I really appreciate the welcoming. Dan Hatch said to get the Ford service book which I already have so looks like I've done something right so far. I have to say boating would be hard to give up Tim. Yeah too bad I'm so far away. Seems like most of y'all are up north. To me it steers like a big go cart. I tried uploading pictures but it said I passed the max of 250 kilobytes with just 1 picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

Welcome Cord ! Almost as good as having a local club for us isolated westerners. I have a '13 roadster, and I'm also 26, with 43 years' experience !!

Re/ the model T steering, after a 50 year absence, it surprised me that such a short wheel base car has such a wide turning radius ! (Got our '13 last November)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:36 pm:

Welcome aboard John you have picked
a great hobby Good luck Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

Hey Cord. Welcome. The folks on the forum are great. I was a new to the hobby a few years ago and I am in my 60's. There is a mechanic near me who has worked on Model T's and can restore anything. He is a real mechanical talent so I lucked out when I had to have my '20 runabout's transmission rebuilt. Lang's is a good place to start when looking for parts. They also have techs who can help you out if you need it and I am not forgetting the folks on the forum. They are a wealth of knowledge. They will definitely steer you in the right direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Welcome Cord !

When you get a chance - post an image of your T in your user profile and/or on this thread.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Greetings! Welcome to the T world. I'm in it because my wife has it on her bucket list.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

I don't call it an affliction. It's a great hobby! I started at 17, and had only the green Polyprints book to go by. I learned most everything from that book, and since then have found several original hard cover blue editions. I was lucky too to find a gentleman who I learned a great deal from the was like a father to me. I've never looked back. I now still have the T I found at '17, and three more. You will enjoy this hobby, I know you will. Just never give up, and if you can find a mentor like I did, you will be a lucky guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

I don't call it an affliction. It's a great hobby! I started at 17, and had only the green Polyprints book to go by. I learned most everything from that book, and since then have found several original hard cover blue editions. I was lucky too to find a gentleman who I learned a great deal from that was like a father to me. I've never looked back. I now still have the T I found at '17, and three more. You will enjoy this hobby, I know you will. Just never give up, and if you can find a mentor like I did, you will be a lucky guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Welcome! -Can you show us some photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Buckley on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 01:33 am:

Hi Cord, welcome, If you go to Google, and enter picture resize (r), it will give you an bunch of free apps, to bring your picture down in size, to be accepted on this forum. I would give you a link to one, but I ain't that good on these fancy machines. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 02:42 am:

Hi Cord, welcome to the world of Model Ts. You're a smart guy going for a "black and brass" car :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

The guy I bought it from is 80 and lives an hr away. He's more than willing to help when I need it but given his age and distance it's limited. I'm trying to learn everything I can from him while he's able to teach me. He's a wealth of knowledge on the T but also antique tractors. He's even helped me with my 1935 John Deere B. He knew I wanted a brass touring car so he found one. Couldn't be happier with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

Cord, I would like to see pics of your 13 T too.
What Keith says just above.
I use my ancient digital camera, set at low res, for the forum. My smart (DUMB) phone cannot manage that.
That ol' camera takes wonderful pictures if I can keep still/stop wiggling.
Yeah, it'd be handier sometimes with my telephone but I hate that consarned thing.
I pull the card from my old camera, stuff it into my desktop and...
Welcome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 06:30 pm:

Welcome Cord. I'm in TX too and bought my first T in January

I'm not 26 but not an old timer either (I'm 48).

Where in TX are you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr.Grundy on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

We knew that one day a young man would join our ranks. Welcome aboard son, now fetch me my tool box!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

Cord, What serial number is your John Deere B?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

I hate the idea of shooting low res photos. They can never be improved. I'd much rather shoot the highest resolution possible, then make a copy and resize it to 250 KB for the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Point taken Steve! :-)
Contrarian as I am, the pics I shoot look good on this desktop.
I, on the other hand don't like to slide back and forth and up and down just to see a complete photo.
Yet I get what Steve is saying.
Haha! I'd bet you have me with your mac as for super simple.
I use Linux and I may have to take an extra step or remember what I need to do. :-)
I forget. ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:00 am:

I'm jealous! It took me until I was 58 to get my first Model T and the best I could do was get a '26 Tudor. I'd love a brass car. Maybe one of these days...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Cord....Here's what I do for photos....

I take a photo with my iPhone, then use the iPhone to email it to myself. When I hit "send" on the email, it gives me several choices on how big I want the photo file size to be. I just make sure that the average file size will be less than 250kb for that batch that I'm sending.

Then I can download them from my email onto my laptop and load them here.

I've still got the high res version on the phone if I want them for other purposes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Kevin, don't feel bad. I was the same age (I think...got a bad case of CRS) when I got my first T. :-) Keep looking for a brassie, occasionally you can find one that maybe needs a little TLC for a decent price. My neighbor did last year. I think there's a cute '14 Runabout either on the classifieds or Tbay now, it should go for an affordable price. Check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:12 am:

My smartphone is what I use for all pictures now. I can't find the digital camera. I'll have to try the email method that Don uses. I'm in Wichita Falls which is 2 hours North of Fort Worth/Dallas.
Serial # for the B is 10190. I think it was bought new down in Rosebud Texas.
I really didn't think I would get a brass car for my first one but I'm glad I did. Seems like there are more model T's up North than down here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Twenty miles south of Okieland. :-)

I think you'd be surprised how many Model T's there are in Texas. There were assembly plants at Dallas and Houston.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Hand on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:58 am:

Cord, The B was built 9/3/1935, shipped 9/11/1935 to dealer in Cameron Tx. equipped with a factory powerlift front wheels were cast disc, with skeleton rear wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Cord, from your smartphone it's pretty easy to post if you download the Simple Resize App. Free 'n easy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:34 am:

That's right, 20 miles south of the Communist Republic of Oklahoma. There's plenty of trash talk between us and Oklahoma. I didn't know there were any assembly plants here. That's good to know George. I didn't have those details before. I really appreciate that you took the time to find that for me. It has round spoke front wheels with tires and flat spoke rears with tires. How did you find that information?
I'll look for the Simple Resize App. I'll post a picture of the '35 John Deere too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Welcome I'm working on a '12 tourabout and a '27 speedster and am pretty sure I am the farthest south while still being in the US. A buddy of mine is in Houston. If you decide you want to go a little faster or just have a little more power fire away with whatever questions you might have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

Cord, where was the automobile when you found it? And maybe the story of how you heard of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

1913 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

13s are my favorite I have restored three two tourings and one roadster. Like 14s too but if you ever need any pictures or info feel free to email me at meyre14t@gmail.com. I'm still pretty young for the hobby to, I'm 47.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

I appreciate the your willingness to help Chad. If I decide I need more power I'll certainly let you know. I was told it has highway gears in it. So far I've only sped up to 35 mph.
The car came from Ohio. I have the 1962 title for it. The owner and his family moved to the Dallas area sometime in the early 60's and the car was put in storage. The owner died and the car continued to sit in storage since then until Jim bought it in February. Jim is from Vernon. I bought it from him in March.
The engine supposedly had a complete overhaul back in the 1960's in Ohio. Jim was the first one to start it since the overhaul. The date on the block is 8 8 13. The block number is 328192. Number stamped in the wood in front of the gas tank under driver seat is 201471.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Great car, Cord! I'm a member of the "13 club" also. Feel free to contact me if you need to compare details! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Great to see your T Cord ! Thanks for the pix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

black baloon thumb like
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

What a Sweetie!
Has anyone whined about Babbitt verses bronze rear axle thrust washers yet?
Last winter/this spring I fixed the axle on the 18 that had been worked on in the mid to late 70's and it still had the Babbitt thrust washers.
The "now we know better" info is widely known since the internet...
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Cord, looks nice! Rather ironic that your car came from Ohio, as obviously I'm from here too. Looks like the dark blue color too, which is fantastic to see! You say this Jim guy is from Vernon, I wonder if you meant Mt. Vernon. That's not too far from where I was born. Small world. We just did a good 73 mile tour in our '13 this afternoon with 4 other club cars following us. Great time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I enjoyed seeing the photos of your car. I've owned a '13 Touring for over 55 years, and I'm currently working on a '13 roadster. My car is pictured in Bruce McCalley's black book. It's a pretty handy book to own, but if you get one get an original, not a reprint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cord Young on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Thanks Mark and James. If I need information which I'm sure I will I'll certainly let you know.
I have yet to learn about the thrust washers. I really have a lot of studying to do.
It's actually black but it was repainted at some point. I don't know the actual original color. Jim is from Vernon Texas. He's lived there since he was born. He's very knowledgeable about the Model T. I don't know the name of the owner from Ohio. I'll have to look at the title. I'd really like to go on a tour like that but I'll have to travel to do it. I'd really like to have a '13 roadster to go with the touring like Larry. Looks like I need to get that book.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration