Need help with Ruckstell shifting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need help with Ruckstell shifting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

I have been working on getting Sambuca my 1917 Model T Ford Canopy Express Delivery ready for the Dunbarton Old Home Day Parade and celebration on Saturday, August 19th, 2017. I adjusted the brakes, because the last time I had Sambuca out for a drive I had a very hard time stopping that mighty steed. On this test drive, I could not shift out of low and I am wondering if it just a linkage adjustment or something else that is causing the problem.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts,

Warren

Sambuca

Hunter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

It could be that your P147 is worn to much or depending on the type shift lock your spring, roller or shaft have issues too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Low is low. Ruckstell is Ruckstell. If you are in Ruckstell low, that means you are in Ruckstell and low gear. You should be able to climb a pretty steep hill that way, providing you have lots of gas in the tank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:13 am:

John T, I love that you are from Hot Coffee, Mississippi, I am planning on checking that today.

Larry, the shift lever in the cab is pulled back against the seat.

I also need to work on installing the floor board.

Thank you both for your help and advice,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:25 am:

I had that happen earlier this spring. Coming come from an ice cream run, I could not for the life of me get the Ruckstell to shift back into direct drive. I pulled the shift tower off and it was practically bone dry. It got disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and a couple grease fittings installed. Being greased properly made all the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Perhaps the shift lever hitting the seat is your problem. A lot of the shift levers are splined. Move it up a notch so it won't hit the seat. The seat could be preventing it from fully engaging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:20 am:

Larry that's a great point, it could very well be that. James I agree there's hardly any way that lubricants get into the tower whether it's the 26/7 type or the earlier styles. Ever since I read the thread that Stan Howe showed the zerks he placed on the tower l've done the same. Like you said that makes a world of difference. Warren I'll go back to making sure that you don't have any slack in your shift lock it will magnify the slack as it moves up to your shifter. As you know there's not much of a space between being in and out of Ruckstell at the stick shift. If there is you may have to much wear in the shaft that in the tower but that's an easy fix. Good Luck John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration