Wooden seat frame

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wooden seat frame
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:49 am:

I need a front seat cushion frame for my 1910 Touring; it's made of wood and is curved on the backside. I have the rear seat frame so I see how it's constructed, but I have no idea how difficult it is to steam bend 7/8" poplar! Is anyone out there making these? Any suggestions would be welcome! I know where I can buy the metal seat straps with springs (thanks, Royce!), I just need the wooden frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Bill, I have a wooden frame seat bottom I got with a lot of T parts a couple of years ago. Send me a message and with your email and I can send you pictures with measurements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Dean, PM sent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

I am currently laminating a set of door frames
I did the seat parts the same way
+I don't have any pictures on my phone but I can send them to you on Monday morning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

here a couple of my 1911

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

see the following photos of the door frame I formed today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

I started with 7 layers of 1/8 inch veneer the laid them out on the driveway. it dries out to fast in the sun so I wet down a blanket over the veneer and let the soak
then I clamp them to the form and use c clamps to pull the veneer around the form
there is no glue between the layers now
I will let the wood dry out on the form then I will glue the layers one by one 20 minutes apart
The finished door frame just like the one today is on the table

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Mark, laminating timber is a good way to bend it to different shapes and can make a very strong piece. I find it easier to do the laminations in stages. Instead of bending all the timbers wet and waiting for them to dry around a former, and then fighting them all at once to glue them, I do them just two at a time, dry. I glue the first two while flat and then pull and clamp them to the former. Once the glue dries they will hold the shape and you can repeat the process with the next two glued against the first two. There is far less fighting to do and much less clamping pressure required. It takes a little more time waiting for the glue to set, but it is a far more manageable process.
I used this process on the framework for my boat-tail speedster, various sets of top bows and different tack strips for upholstery applications. With the tack strips I used the body panels as the former. If I attempted to pull all the timbers at once the panels would be pulled out of position under the pressure.
Hope this helps somebody.
Allan from own under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Barlow on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Allen thanks for the advice
I tried bending the one at a time dry but they break all the time.
I don't know if it's because it's so dry in California or what
I've bent then one at a time wet, but this time I thought I would try a different approach
I will see how it turns out your way

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration