Bendix drive gear questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bendix drive gear questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 08:30 am:

drive gear

I discovered that my old drive gear had been welded in several places so I purchased a new one. The new one has a small hole (marked in the picture) along with a pin and spring. Does anyone know if this is needed and if so, how does it stay in the hole and what is it supposed to do?

Also,
A rookie question. What are the holes at the end of the bendix for? Is there a pin or something I'm missing. Does it need to be tightened beyond hand tight? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Rick
The hole in the eccentric on the Bendix "drive gear" is for the "anti drift" pin and spring". The function of the "anti drift" pin is to hold the Bendix "drive gear" in its fully retracted position when the Bendix is not in use.
The holes in the Bendix "drive shaft" "stop nut" are used to retain the "stop nut". The "stop nut" is screwed onto the "drive shaft" and the the end of the "drive shaft" is upset into these two holes from the inside to prevent the "stop nut" from unscrewing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:24 am:

Here is a photo of the Bendix "anti drift" pin installed. It is captured between the eccentric and shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Yellow is the pin and Red is the the shaft area the spring loaded pin drops into to hold the drive gear in it's retracted position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Thanks Ron. Looks like I'm missing the stop nut! The illustration helps a lot on the drive gear question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Sometimes that pin and spring come out when you change the oil. Don't ask me how I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Rick
The item marked red in the photo with your initial post is the stop nut.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration