What to do with an old, rough tailgate?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What to do with an old, rough tailgate?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:43 am:

I have this rough tailgate left over from resurrecting a beat up '26-'27 pickup bed. I really don't want to throw it out, so been trying to think of something to do with it. I'm open to ideas. It's the bottom one in this photo. The top one was used on the bed. What do you think?

tail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 10:49 am:

Attach it to the wall of the garage like it was on the truck bed.
Then if you need a temporary shelf while your working. Fold it down to hold the tools.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Melnick -Waterford , Pa on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Steel wool it down and coat it with boiled linseed oil then do as Steve said !! That'd be nice even outside .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

e-bay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Ive seen people make really nice sitting benches out of them, they use them for the back rest and they look really cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

I used to restored vintage small engines and most of the time the fan shrouds looked like spaghetti strainers and this is how I made them look new. This the same idea just larger. What I did was paint it with fiberglass resin, Just the resin, not the fiberglass. First I would put painters tape under the holes to act as a dam so the resin would not flow through, Then I would lay down a coat and let it set up then sand the high spots off and repeated until it looked right. Make your last sanding with 600 grit to make a glass smooth finish. Then primed and painted and you could not tell there was ever a problem. It will take a few coats on both sides so be patient. Note> It will not be as hard as steel so use some caution when putting things on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:08 pm:

I like the park bench idea with this being the seat back. Or make a storage box that matches the patina and use this as the lid. Could even go in the bed of the truck once in a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

It could make a really nice tailgate for someone that needed it. Some sheetmetal work and some welding could resurrect it nicely. As Charlie B said, sell it on eBay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration