Help Needed: Reamer/Hone Size for Transmission Bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help Needed: Reamer/Hone Size for Transmission Bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

I am not at my shop to look this up in my notes, and I am struggling to search the internet for these sizes on my phone, so can someone list for me the finished sizes for the bushings. I am at an equipment dealer who is offering me a deal on some Sunnen hones if I know what size(s) I need. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

The transmission book says only that clearance should be from .002 for new to .005" for repair. So I went out to the barn and measured some drums and shafts. The part of the low drum where the reverse drum rides is 2.300". The shaft from the brake holding the driven gear, where the low drum rides, is 1.650". The transmission shaft is 1.000". Those numbers are my best guesses. The wear varied on the several pieces I measured, so one or more of the measurements may be off a few thousandths. Maybe somebody else can find a reference that confirms or corrects what I found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Brett- the main shaft is 1" so an SL960 mandrel will work for that or the equivalent lifetime mandrel. I'm not at the shop either, but that may help a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

I use hones
Brake cylender and small engine yes slower but works on every one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:59 am:

I would suggest you take the brass parts to be honed to a machine shop where they can assure perfect alignment. Free hand honing can be done but may not be true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

quote:

By David Menzies on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:59 am:

I would suggest you take the brass parts to be honed to a machine shop where they can assure perfect alignment.

I agree with you David, -and what you may not realize is, -this is my machine shop. This picture was captured this morning off my security camera. We are a machine shop that has capability of pouring babbitt (rods & mains), grinding crankshafts, and all other facets of the machine work in-house. The reason I initiated this thread was that I was at a engine machinery dealer in NC who had some tooling for sale that fit my Sunnen LBB699, but I was unsure of the sizes I needed. Several folks sent me texts and called me with the sizes I needed. Thanks to everyone who offered assistance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Nice lookin' shop Brent. If only...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

quote:

Dan McEachern on Friday, August 18, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Brett- the main shaft is 1" so an SL960 mandrel will work for that or the equivalent lifetime mandrel. I'm not at the shop either, but that may help a little.

Thanks Dan, that is exactly what I am trying to do now is replace my SL series mandrels with the Lifetime mandrels where I can replaces shoes, etc. as needed. SL series seem to be abundant around here with the used equipment dealers but the P series with truing sleeves in the sizes I need, ...not so much. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

quote:

By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Nice lookin' shop Brent. If only...

Tim, are you thinking 'if only ...I had Brent's mortgage payment book??' :-) :-)

Ok, as a teaser, here are a few other shop views from this morning;

Wood Shop;

Body Shop

Metal Shop

Assembly Shop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Brent: Did he have any extra, or did you get them all? Please send me his info, I am look for some too. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Brent, I love that shot of the beetle body. It almost makes the shape attractive!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

How come there's nobody working? You guys have an eclipse holiday today? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 12:29 am:

Look at the time stamp! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 09:39 am:

That shop is way too clean and organized. I could never find anything in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 09:51 am:

quote:

By Dan Hatch on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Brent: Did he have any extra, or did you get them all? Please send me his info, I am look for some too. Thanks, Dan

Dan, I purchased two 2G-P28 mandrels, but everything else that he had was odd-ball sizes that I, -nor anyone else apparently wants. Joe Baker and Dan Cavalieri seem to have the most mandrels. Dan has an eBay store called e-cavco but he will deal way better off of eBay.

quote:

By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

How come there's nobody working? You guys have an eclipse holiday today? :-)

Mark is right, they take their morning break from 9:00-9:15. Maybe you can see workers in these pix taken a tad earlier? Yes, we did take a few afternoon breaks to go watch the eclipse. Wasn't that impressive in our area though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Out standing shop----its beyond the vast majority of the T owners I know ability and tools.---- I admire you!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration