Finding the sweet spot with TW Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Finding the sweet spot with TW Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Now that my engine is running I am breaking it in by driving the bare chassis around the neighborhood. I know that the spark advance / retard adjustments will be different than my old T but am getting some slight knocking.

I ran my previous T on a Tiger roller timer for many years then switched to an Anderson a few years ago. Loved the Anderson though I thought the contacts were wearing faster than they should. Nevertheless, as I would accelerate I always advanced the spark ... and going up hills I would retard it ... then gradually advance the spark as it gained speed. I'm always listening to the engine and making subtle adjustments as I drive to get the best out of the engine.

I installed a TW Timer on my new T and it runs perfectly and smoothly. But as I'm driving I feel like I'm hearing some knocking at times ... it all the time. Don't hear it when the car is stationary in the driveway as I try different rpms. I'm thinking that the TW requires a more narrow range of adjustment. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Mark, for the most part, no. However through a little trial and error I have found that particularly my '12 seems to prefer the spark lever a bit more retarded than most seem accustomed to. And it seems to change a wee bit when the engine is fully warmed up. I usually run it with the lever about a little further down from the 9 o'clock position, or I would notice some knocking. The '13 on the other hand pretty much runs well at the typical 8 o'clock position, maybe a bit less. I slowly advance the lever once the engine starts up just to the point where the engine smooths out and/or idles up a bit more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Yes ... I can see from trying different adjustments this morning where it likes to be. Also ... I've never used an NH carburetor before. Not as flexible as the updraft I used to have.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration