Aftermarket shocks for 27 Depot Hack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Aftermarket shocks for 27 Depot Hack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Seeing some shock sets for sale on this and other venues. I know absolutely nothing about aftermarket shocks. But I have this 27 Depot Hack that I am going to remove the body for some renovation and it would be a good time to install something if it would help the ride for passengers or just set the hack apart from others.

I hear terms like Beehive, Pancake, Hesslers, etc. I see springs, leather straps, etc.

What, if anything would make a nice addition for this hack?

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Front bee hive Hasslers would be nice addition on your truck but its not really worth the work to install them on the back. When buying Hasslers be sure to look at the mounting holes as after many years of use and neglect sometimes they are egged out and not repairable. Iv got fronts on my 19. The other problem with Hasslers is if you put them on the back you will never be able to install any kind of after market brakes as the Hasslers will interfere with them. The other thing is it will make your truck a little higher. They say that you can install after market brakes them on a small drum with Hasslers but I have not had any luck doing that. You will need the spring compression tool that Langs sells to do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:10 am:

He is running big drum 26 so the whole brake drum Hassler setup would be different then the early small drum setup with Rocky Mountain Brakes. You would have to use the pancake style (see the ad) on the rear anyway if it has the big drum. I did not see that much difference in height on my 21 huckster with or without the Hasslers in the rear. The only reason I took mine off is because I went from small drum to large drum and the old style bee hive would not work, the mount on the backing plate is different among other things. I was running AC outside brakes on the small drum with Hasslers with no interference issues.
In regards to mounting Hasslers on small drum rear end, if equipped with RM's, you might need to use the pancake style with the correct backing plate mounting bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:32 am:

When I take people for their first T ride in my 1927, the almost universal comment is that it rides better than they expected. I feel the same way. Why bother with shocks? Perhaps they would make sense on the earlier Ts with high-pressure narrow tires, but on the "Improved car" with it's wider balloon low-pressure skins, the ride is great as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

The hack barely fits in my single car garage door as it is, less than 2" clearance to the top of the door, so maybe not a good idea for shocks. All the T's I have ridden in have 26 or 27 suspension, so I do not have the bumpy ride expierience.

So I'll hold off for now. Just wondered if it was worth exploring. Sounds like it is not.

Other things to spend money on. Like exhaust whistles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Extra passengers somewhat tame the ride. :-) LOL

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration