Tip and info on 8 point screws on enclosed trailers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tip and info on 8 point screws on enclosed trailers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Ramsey, Bruceton Mills, WV on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:43 am:

While doing routine maintenance on my enclosed trailer I noticed that several of the screws holding the sheet metal on the exterior were loose. As shown in the picture below they have an 8 point head. As some of you may be aware these are NOT Torx head screws (5 point star). In searching and researching for a correct bit to use to tighten them I discovered that the 8 point bits are of limited availability and quite expensive, however it turns out that a Robertson #2 Square bit works quite well and in fact many companies refer to the 8 point as a "double square" which refers to the fact that if you strip the initial placement of the bit you still have an alternate location to use. Several trailer manufacturers actually use the #2 square since it is much less expensive. Even though some of you may be aware of this I thought I would pass it along on the forum for those who may be frustrated with trying to find an 8 point bit. Also a good reminder to check all the screws for tightness on your enclosed trailer.
8 pt screw head
Note #2 square bit in 8 pt screw head.

#2 square in #8 screw head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:55 am:

Bill,

On the curb side of my enclosed trailer - this is an ongoing problem.

The road vibrations cause the screws to back out.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Ramsey, Bruceton Mills, WV on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Jim,
I have noticed it most on the curb side as well. Usually is worse at the seams.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

I think the correct bit for these screws is a torx bit. Might have this spelled wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Torx drive screws are 6 lobed- not 8, hence the Robertson square bit works where as a Torx would not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Ramsey, Bruceton Mills, WV on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Dan is correct Jim. A Torx as I mentioned in my original post is not 8 point. It is 6. I just noticed that I "fat fingered" a 5 when I typed the original post. Should have proof read it better. Torx will not work on the "double square" (8 pt) screws.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Go to RV store and buy correct tip with 8 sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

I've used Allen wrenches on them before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

Jim: When you do the tightening routine again, put a dab of clear silicone on the screw before you tighten it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Bill,

Tried that.

I my experience - nothing will keep sheet metal screws from backing out due to vibration caused by road conditions except stepping up to a larger screw size - on my front nose corners I use #14 self tapping hex head sheet metal screws.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I put mine back in with just a bit of silicone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

I wonder if a sealing washer like those used on a roofing screw would absorb vibrations and stay put. Never tried, just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Bill, that is a helpful hint. Several times folks have come into my store looking for an 8 point driver and could just not believe they hadn't thought of that when I suggested it. Kind of like a square nut in an 8 pt socket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Haulmark trailers list replacement screws I noticed the other day, as well as square drivers. I wonder if a drop of red locktite would hold them. I replaced all of my screws a while back because of rusty heads, but they were and still are holding tight, after thousands of interstate miles. It is a Haulmark with a single torsion type axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Some deck screws are 8 point and they usually come with a driver in the box. Extra drivers are available at most lumber yards.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration