Do I Bake After Each Coat, Or Just Once After All Primer And Top Coats Are Dry?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Do I Bake After Each Coat, Or Just Once After All Primer And Top Coats Are Dry?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Left to right, High Heat Primer, Flat Black, and Clear Coat.

Each can has almost identical steps for coating and drying, and curing.

However, none answer this question:

Do I bake (cure) after each coat, or just once after all the primer and top coats have been applied and air-dried?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Bill, while I don't have your answer, there should be an 800 number somewhere on the can to call if you have questions. If not there, possibly on their website?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Rustoleum seems to be pretty good with customer support based on posts on this Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

I wrote an e-mail, and just called customer support; I'll call back Monday when they're open.

Thanks, guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Cassara Long Island, NY on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

https://youtu.be/mpJQ_Rr06fw

Check out the Video from Rustolium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

I watched the video and the baking is done after all the coats of paint have been applied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Customer Service at Rustoleum just confirmed that Tony's correct; baking / curing is done after all coats of paint have been applied and dried per their directions.

Now...where can I find an oven to do this without causing problems at home?!?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Bill,

You could always do what I do. Just volunteer to feed your neighbors pets while they are away.

I'm not saying anything more! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 03:41 am:

If the instructions are followed correctly all will be well.

Unfortunately often people think because they are spraying the paint it dries fast and tend to load up coat after coat with not enough time between coats.

If too much paint is applied too quickly the top coat may dry out because the solvent can escape but previous coats may not be able to release their solvent and if then prematurely baked the solvent underneath will break through the top coat and the finish will have holes in it (usually referred to as pinholes)

So leave lots the time between coats during applications and before baking.

One other point, baking paint usually requires a specific oven, one that has a flue and a fan to expel any solvent present, solvent trapped in the oven may then be able to be ignited.

So again make sure the paint is well and truly dried out before baking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I assume you are talking about the exhaust manifold. Why bother painting it at all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Brian, after I got it, I laughed my butt off!

Peter, I'm letting it dry each time overnight.

Larry, appearance. Which leads me to a new thread, "Am I Building A Problem?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Calyx Manifold Restoration Paint Dressing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

I volunteer to clean the church kitchen once in a while. They got a dishwasher, oven, lots of neat things.

What happpens at church, stays at church.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Larry, I am wanting to prevent/minimize rust for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Bill, after all I have tried over the years, I also endorse Calyx Manifold Restoration Paint Dressing as above. I have it on a newer pickup that I replaced the engine in last year, the truck sits outside year round, and gets use once or twice a month and has held up pretty good. The only real issue I have seen is were the A/C line condenses water off it and drips on the manifold. In that spot it has wore off.

I would personally return the paint and use the Calyx.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration