Front Axle Ground Clearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front Axle Ground Clearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Hello,

I have searched all over this site and can not find the measurement from the ground to the front axle. I realize this is NOT a single specific measurement for ALL Ts.

The reason I ask is; mounting a spare tire, laying down, on a trailer. Will the front axle clear the tire if it needs to? My center door is in pieces right now, so I can't measure it.

Does anyone know what the general height of the front axle is from the ground to the bottom of the axle?

Thank You,
Terry Miller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Terry, my '25 with 21" balloon tires is just a shade over 12" from the ground to the bottom of the front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

I just measured Betsy, my '24 cut-off touring, and got 12 3/4 inches. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Lowest point on a T is the oil pan drain, probably 11" on an "improved" car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 03:04 pm:

Wes,

Yes, it is on the internet, so it must be true (the picture), but I nevertheless can't believe it!

The side load on the lower spokes must be tremendous...did the T complete the exercise without a fractured spoke?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Thank You All. I appreciate the information and the quick response.

I believe 11 - 12 inches will be more than enough.

Back to work for me.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Most people would be amazed at just how strong good wood spoke wheels really are! Having raced model T racing cars, on a half mile dirt track, and at real racing speeds, I have seen the results.

As for clearance of your trailer's spare tire? The front and rear axles should be no problem (as long as they are not drop-center or other lowered beam for the front. The pan is the lowest fixed point on the chassis, and varies a lot with lowered cars . Four inches is fairly common, and would be a problem with most trailer tires. While suspension will vary the height from one car to the next, and of course the size of the trailer tire, and how/where it is mounted, generally the pan should be able to clear most of them for stock Ts. The spare tire should not be located to ride under the pan sump, however. The car does need to be allowed to bounce a little while riding.
One other consideration that you should NOT forget. The crank handle. It hangs lower than the pan does. A simple sling to hang the handle in toward one side should solve that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Wayne,

Thank you for your insight. I am trying to mount the spare laying flat, in the center of the trailer, at the front rail. The winch will be mounted on the rail in front of the tire and must be able to go over the tire. I believe the front of the T will be behind the spare tire. BUT I have a TT to haul as well and I may have to roll it all the way up to the rail to get it on the trailer and for proper tongue weight.

I had thought about the crank but, as you said, a sling will take care of that.

If all this doesn't work out, I will just mount it to the side of the frame, standing up. I would rather lay it down but you got to do what needs to be done.

Thank You All once Again. I appreciate your help.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

David, I have seen a number of "period" photos of Model Ts being flexed just like the one in the photo Wes posted. It's a little extreme, and I wouldn't attempt that with my T, but it can be fun to explore the incredible flexibility of the Model T chassis - you know they are alive !! Model Ts are tough ! They had to be to be useful in the environment they were "born" in.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration