A different way to ship items

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A different way to ship items
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I went back to an old way of shipping an item, which was the Grayhound bus system. I shipped a model T pan for about one half the cost that Fastenal and some other shipping ways cost. Any thing big and bulky and not too heavey was half the cost. I'm told that the time will be about what the other shippers time to deliver would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F Stephens-Marcle on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

What a terrific idea ! You would think more of us would think of this, as many of us seem geared to a different time and speed to begin with! hahaha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

In my dotage everything reminds me of something else. In 1967 my buddy Herb, his wife, sister-in-law, and I camped out by Pickett's garage in Winnemucca, waiting for the Greyhound to bring beetle parts from Reno. Once the bug was fixed we drove home, stopping in Lone Pine to watch the last episode of The Fugitive on a motel lobby TV. The show was in color, but the TV was in black & white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

I had 2 disc wheels shipped by Greyhound. I called every other day to see if they arrived. Kept telling me no. After a week or so they called me to say they arrived and I would have to pay a storage fee because they had been there over a week and I never came to pick them up. Its not like they were a small and light package. 2 solid steel wheels. I bitched when I picked them up and was not charged a fee. Unless they have changed there is no tracking method, but they are inexpensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

It's an option. Goes from pick up locations to other pick up locations, not just ticket offices. No guarantee on arrival time as they never know how much luggage will go on each bus. But if no one is any hurry, it's a low cost option. No tracking along the route either.

When I last shipped with them, I had to leave my box open so they could inspect the contents and then we sealed it up in the freight office.

Nice experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

FWIW, I tried to ship a complete touring top assembly via Greyhound about 25 years ago, because they didn't need boxed, just address tags. Greyhound wanted $300 then. They ultimately went UPS for about a quarter of that.

YMMV.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

The package that I shipped last friday did have a tracking number. I think that Grayhound has come into the new era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

It has been a while since I shipped on Greyhound. That might explain the horses.
"Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us"

I haven't seen a commercial for Greyhound in 20 years.

Not to hijack the thread, but related... wanted to ship some artwork to my sister in Alaska. Expensive. Got on Delta Dash web site, entered all the dimensions and weight and got a rate cheaper than the post office. Wife drove to the airport and spent a lot of time finding the Delta Dash freight drop off location, had to pay for parking, dragged the box inside and they looked at her like she had two hads. She explained what she wanted to ship and had a quote and they said that since 9/11, no private party can ship on an airplace unless they are on the plane. It has to go through a licensed and registered freight forwarder. My wife said, "that would have been nice to put on your web site". They looked at her like she had two heads.

I keep telling her to put a bag over that second head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

If you ever need to ship top bows and need to box them, just go to a bike store and get a large bike box. Works fine I shipped a set of bow from OKC to Seattle. Came on the same plane I was ridding on.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration