Removing a steering lock

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Removing a steering lock
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

I recently picked up a steering column that has a lock on it.

The tag is tough to read but shows "SIMPLE" and "Rigid Auto Lock". The lock tumbler has what I expect is the key number of 421DS stamped on it.

Any good ideas how to take this thing apart or how I might find a key?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

I think you have to remove the pins or screws that lock it to the threads and it should just screw off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

I don't recognize that particular lock, but frequently, the outer screws on the gearcase threads are for keeping the assembly in place while driving and when locked, there is a single or double toothed gear that drops down into the interior gearset inside the case making it impossible to remove unless unlocked. If you find you can just barely "rock" or twist the case back/forth on the threads barely a degree or two, this might be what is holding it on...If so, my condolences to you...you are now visiting a locksmith.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

A locksmith may be able to look up your number and create a key for it. Worked on a locking steering wheel I had with no key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/767861.html?1498847393

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Walt,
Here is a picture of the inside of your steering lock. When you unlock it a pin will retract, then you can unscrew it.
Jim
steering lock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Looks like drill time. I tried some small flat tip screw drivers that fit the holes but couldn't find a screw slot for them to grab. Must be driven in pins. I also tried a couple of small allen wrenches but no luck there either (no surprise). I would just as soon take only the head to a locksmith rather than the whole column assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Jim typed the answer while I was working on my last reply. I will visit a locksmith before resorting to the drill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Closer inspection of Jim's photo shows that a key would release the plunger so it could be steered but there still appear to be pins that would prevent unscrewing the case of the lock from the column. I'll still need the drill to get this thing off. Please correct me if I'm missing something here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

First, if it is locked you will have to turn the tumbler to unlock it. Next, you will probably find that the original pins need to be drilled out to start to unscrew the top of the steering box/gear assembly. After it is unlocked, I would try to turn the gear cover to see if someone already drilled the pins. The holes look like they may have been drilled. Mine were hard to find as they were filled and painted over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

You can drive the pins out from behind and the cover may come off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Cover will likely unscrew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:14 am:

An experienced locksmith can make a key without any numbers by "impressioning" it. Most can't do it, especially if they learned to locksmith by a correspondence course. I've had several pad locks and a steering wheel that a locksmith was successful doing (after I had taken it to two or three that couldn't).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

Call Jarvis lock and Key in Alderwood Manor Wa,

425 776-2804

Jarvis the Mercury Guru will fix you right up.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Drive out the two lock pins from the bottom, see image below, then just unscrew it. You don't need a drill or a locksmith to remove it, (unless it's currently locked, which I don't believe you indicated).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration