Seat care

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Seat care
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

What if anything should I put on my new touring seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Are they leather or vinyl?

One of the best things you can do for your touring's seat cushions is to be sure that you have the proper spring support underneath. Some refer to this as a "trap door" or "gas tank cover" but in reality it is a support for the spring cushion. As I recall, the later open cars don't use anything (I could be wrong), but I believe that the earlier steel support could be fitted. Just don't install the hinges, or else use small machine screws in place of rivets, so you can remove it when you're at a show and someone yells "Here come de Judge!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Great question in my opinion Philip. I believe we can get them in leather from Mike (for a price) so I understand R.V.'s question too.
When I had slightly larger/incorrect/later seat springs in my 18 (no interior yet) with no "trap door"/"gas tank cover"/"front seat lid" in place yet and I had a couple of classmates crammed in/on that little car with me, the seat cushion rubbed some galvanizing off the top of the fuel tank in 3 or 4 places it sagged that low.

R.V, what does "Here Come De Judge" mean?
My sister had a big button that had that slogan on it when I was young.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:42 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hIcKkKID8k

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:50 am:

Well shoot. All I can think about is Goldie Hawn now. Darn it.
Thanks Mark!
Eh Hem. How about those new interior installs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

Well, since I still don't know if Philip's seats are vinyl or leather, I will venture to say that if they are vinyl, I wouldn't put any kind of cream or lotion treatment on new seats. I'd keep the seats spotlessly clean and the car covered when it's put away, and maybe even toss a sheet or two of muslin on them to further trap dust. Keep the building at 50% humidity and your vinyl should last as long as you own your car.

If the seats are leather, probably any good tried and true leather conditioner should be applied maybe once a year. A tack shop would be able to tell you more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration