RING GEAR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: RING GEAR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Has anyone ever seen a 37 tooth ring gear. It is not recessed like a Ruckstell Gear. It has a slightly smaller diameter than a 40 tooth. I assume it would be used with an 11 or 10 tooth pinion. Any help? Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

I forgot to mention that the ring gear bolt holes do not go all the way through and you have to use shortened bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

I can't believe no one has commented. A 37 tooth ring gears is pretty uncommon! Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 01:38 am:

Here you go Glen. Most likely no-one else has seen one. Used with a standard 11 tooth pinion gear it would give a 3.35 ratio, quite handy as a usable overdrive.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 11:13 am:

While working on a friends early axle using studs (rather than bolts) I realised that a 13 tooth pinion cannot be installed in a stud axle as the gear diameter is greater than the hole between the two axle halves. So maybe this 37 tooth ring gear was a way to get a higher ratio with a studded axle.
Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

3.36 would be a happy medium between stock gears and 3 to 1. A 10 tooth pinion would give you 3.7 which would be a little higher than 4 to 1. Sounds like a very good ratio. Have never seen one before. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

I have known a couple people that had recessed 36 tooth ring gears for use with 13 tooth pinion gears. That gives a nice high top gear for a speedster with a Ruckstell for stepping up with.
I also saw (on this forum a few years ago) photos of a 37 tooth gear for a model T. There was a bit of discussion about it, and I personally counted the teeth in the photos a few times to be certain of the count. However, I cannot say with certainty whether it was recessed for a 13 tooth pinion or not (but I think it was).
I have (years ago) seen several original ads for special gears for model T Fords, a few from the mid '10s. I suspect Tony B may have it right. A few people needed such things that early. Think about the ice racing on the Great Lakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

A 40 tooth ring gear with a 12 tooth pinion is 3.33. Sounds awful close to me. Thats what Iam putting in my 27 Coupe. I also have a Ruckstell. Scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration