Model A carburetor on a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model A carburetor on a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Bought my '23 touring with an A carb and manifold on it. After fighting a lot of leaks I bought an adapter from Snyder's and had the manifold set milled. Leaks are fixed, and the car is running so much better. Turning the mixture knob doesn't seem to make much difference, which is very unT like.
Just looking for some feedback on this set up.
Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Mine has a Model B carb mounted on a Rajo C-35 intake/exhaust manifold. Seth in Alabama rebuilt/cleaned up the carb, which obliged me to replace the manifold gasket and make sure the iron manifold was in working order. I wound up coating the manifold in furnace cement and curing it in an oven.

The current issue is flooding while cranking, too lean or too rich, and odd idling. Just gotta keep idling, driving, and adjusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Dave my T is stock and came to me with model A carb. and intake. It has given me fits from day one. It seemed to run good for a time but after a while it would run rough and I would clean the spark plugs. Then it would run fine for a while and I would start the cycle all over again. I tried every combination of carb. adjustments and jetting to no avail. I also tried different heat range plugs and resealed the manifolds. I would have to clean the plugs three time per tank of gas. Over time and with help from Larry Smith I was able to gather up the parts to go back to an NH carb. and stock manifold. All the problems are solved and she runs great. I'm sure some folks have good luck with this set up but I will not advise doing it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:07 am:

The spring loaded valve on the front is for idle /air/fuel mixture, it's an air valve, more air (turned out) running lean, closed down more fuel. Model A base setting is approx 1 1/2 turns out from seat. You need to have a way to adjust the mixture valve (GVA). For a Model A you need to turn out about 1 turn from seating to start and run at approx 1/4-1/2 turn from seat for running.(can be less) Your adjustment may very.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:02 am:

I had one on a T ran great downside i had choke it alot to get it started with the crank
Never saw enough performance gain to do it again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:08 am:

By the way, when you say Model A carb it would be a Zenith not a Tillotson which is what I based my reply on. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dunn on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Mark, mine has the Tillotson carb. Thanks to all that responded. it's a starting point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

The GVA works the same on the Tillotson as I posted above. (GVA gas valve adjuster)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration