Grinding coming from bendix cover.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grinding coming from bendix cover.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Hey all,

Tried starting my Touring tonight. It didn't want start. The more I pushed down on the starter button, the more I heard a grinding sound coming from the bendix cover/ starter. Soon it became the only thing I heard. I'm gonna a gonna take the bendix cover off to see if anything is Loose in there. I'm gonna do it tomorrow when there is more light. In the meantime, does this problem sound familiar? What could it be? Thanks for any Info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Derrick, I have found a number of Bendix covers with outward grooves caused by the mounting bolts working loose. Whenever a Bendix assembly is fitted, new lock washers should always be used. Re-bending the tabs on a used washer is a no-no. They are likely to break off and allow the bolt to come out.

Best of luck.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:21 pm:

Hi Derrick,

It sounds like one or both of the bendix spring screws are backing out. You will likely need new lock washers. Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Sounds like the internal mounting bolt is loose. Mine loosens up every 2 years or so. Need to pull the cover and tighten up the bolt. I've never replaced the lock washer, probably should give that a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

Ok thank you, will definitely check tomorrow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Will this loose bolt prevent the car from starting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

With time yes, I have had it stop the starters rotation on me a few times. Luckily I have a crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:45 pm:

Good to know, thanks Jason!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Might be a worn ring gear on the flywheel---you can check this by moving the car a bit while in high gear, to find a differant starting place on the ringgear. Do check the bendix however as this is more likely your problem...paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Remove bendix cover screws.
Remove bendix cover.
Remove coffee beans.
Brew up a cup and enjoy.
Install bendix cover.
Install bendix cover screws.
Put new beans in generator.

Repeat daily.

Hope it's nothing major and just a lock washer or two. Finger crossed for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Ok, took off the cover. It was definitely loose retainer bolt. Got it snug and the sound is now gone. Thanks all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 05:39 am:

Derrick, what did you do to keep it snug?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Just used a 1/2 wrench to get it all the way down. And made sure the tab onthe lock washer came up passed the nut to bend it down enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

So now the question is, Why was it loose? It may be OK for awhile, but I'd install a couple of new 50 lock washers that haven't had decades of use and possible metal fatigue.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration