Radiator shell reconditioning.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator shell reconditioning.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

I have been working on getting a 26-7 nickel plated brass radiator repaired for re-plating. The filler neck hole was completely worn away on the back half of the hole. I carved a replacement piece from dome 1/8" brass plate, the finishing fitment done with my Dremel tool burrs and sanding drums.

This is the underside showing the piece silver soldered in place.

This is the topside, with some finishing work still to be done.

The worn off lacing pieces are reinforced from behind with a piece of bronzind rod.

This shell was quite straight otherwise. The only obvious fault was this small crack.

Today I spent 8 hours tapping out small dings, filing and sanding before an initial polish.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Allan, very nice work, but I have a question. I know there were many differences between US and Canadian built T's. Was the material used for the radiator shell, one of them? Every Made in USA (original) nickle plated shell that I have seen was constructed of brass. Every (Made in USA) black painted shell I've seen or had, was steel. Somewhere I read that Ford did this because brass was easier to nickle plate than steel. Also, every brass or steel (USA) 26-27 shell I've had or seen, had round holes punched in the edges for the lacing, unlike the 25 and earlier shell which had the rectangular holes punched in them. Was this a Canadian difference?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Terry, in my experience, our Canadian shells had round lacing holes in steel shells and the squared off ones in brass shells. 26-7 shells like this one are typically nickel plated brass.
There were many nickel plated steel shells, both high and low. These were probably a dealer/body builder option as part of the varied offering from different state's agents/dealers.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration