Car Identification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Car Identification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Can anyone tell me the make and model of these cars in this old photo?
Robbie
Old cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Left is Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Car on the right is a Rambler.

Circular control under steering wheel and hood louvers are main clues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Right = 1906 Rambler Type 3 Surrey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Buick must be close to the same year?
I wander if right hand drives were common in the south as both of these cars are right hand drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:12 am:

The Buick is a 1908-1910 Model F. I believe there were variations in the fenders and body from year to year so a Buick expert would need to pinpoint the year.

Right hand drive has nothing to do with being in the south.

Most U.S. manufactured cars were right hand drive until the Model T Ford came along and changed the thinking.

There were exceptions such as Brush which was left hand drive from the beginning. My dad's 1900 Waverley Electric is left hand drive. Autocar and Columbia also produced some models that were LHD before the Model T ever appeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:20 am:

The Buick is a little newer-either 1909 or 1910. Right hand drive cars were common everywhere before 1914. There were only a handful of LHD cars before that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Paulsen - McPherson, KS on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:21 am:

Looks like Erik and I were typing at the same time, one of us is just a little faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robbie Price on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:31 am:

I didn't hear them say that on "cars that made America" LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

The Buick is a 1908-10 Model F, 2-cyl style. It's kind of hard to tell, but I only see one lever (the high speed lever) on the side of the Buick. That would put it at a 1908. The 1909 Model F's were the first to have the emergency brake in addition to the high speed lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

One more item, the wheels on the Buick appear to be 30 x 4. Those went in to 1909 but not 1910. I always thought they looked a little out of proportion (small) with the size of the car. To bring it back to Model T related, the Model F Buick was advertised at 22 h.p. but only a 2-cyl car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration