I Love garage sales for tools.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I Love garage sales for tools.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:49 am:

Yester day I picked up a new set of mitutoyo inside micrometers in the case for 63.00 They go from 1 1/2 to 16 inches------need one more to measure down to some T parts below 1 1/2 inches. Any one have a quality extra to part with?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

Once you go below 1-1/2" you're looking for telescoping gauges to use with an outside mic, and below about 1/2", small hole gauges to use with an outside mic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I have snap gauges but not quality ones I intend to do Babbitt mains so say 1 to 1 1/2 is my preference. Some retiring machinist will have what I want ----if I care to wait! Thanks Walter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

For repetitive work like that a dial bore gauge would be nice, but I think finding one that will go that small will be difficult as most of those also start at about 1-1/2".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

Checking through my stash of quality tools I have a mitutoyo dial caliper up to 8 inches and another to six inches a bit large for my intent but should work if I am careful until something better shows up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

Be sure and check the inside jaws on some sort of standard, even if you have to open up an outside mic and use the inside jaws to measure across that. It's easy to pick them up and calibrate measuring across the outside of some known standard, or simply zeroing them with the jaws closed, but quite often either due to jaw wear or slack in the rack, the inside jaws will give you a different reading. If you're doing close work and you toggle between the two without knowing how they behave inside vs. out it, can make for some frustrating mistakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Thanks Walter thought of that I have the test blocks for them and will check. Cool here hope your side of the states is comfortable our town is full of campers fishermen and sight seeing folks for the morning eclipse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:16 am:

Paul, you need one of these. This is a quality English Moore and Wright set. It measures from 1" up to 2.25" with changes of spacers/anvils. It took me awhile to find an imperial one.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:40 am:

Wish I had one Allan-----the English measuring tools I have are high quality. Some thing will turn up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration