Is this Rubes triple twist an RHD version?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this Rubes triple twist an RHD version?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Looks almost like a mirror image of the Non-pareil on my car.
Rubes horn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Jem

That's the optional horn for the passenger to sound off with! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Thanks Dan. As ever your perceptive comments are appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

Jem

You welcome :-)

Just thought that likely Rubes mfg. horns or horns by Rubes style were used by other mfg. than Ford. So there were perhaps left and right mount versions. Tried looking in my older magazines for adv. of these, but not much. Did find adv for Nonpareil.

Seems Mr. Rubes was gone by 1910, maybe both horns made by Nonpareil?

Also found this on the web, who knew that brass horn by Rubes was used for amplifying too?

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124434&view=previous

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Good point, doesn't have to fit a Ford. I have a couple of photos of RHD 1910s, I'll see if the horn is visible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

I don't think it is for a RHD since the feed tube would angle UPward if mounted on the RH side. Often you see horns opening downward when mounted on the LHD and the feed tube looks like it was last mounted that way. The downward opening of the front bel makes more sense since that way the horn does not fill with water when it rains. Lots of cars including T's have them mounted this way. Not sure if it was a branch assembled thing or owners option to move it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration