How fast can I ge an answer?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How fast can I ge an answer?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter B. Szumowski on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Need to know the distance from the edge to the tail bracket for a 13 roadster? I had to replace the rear panel and now I cannot find the correct measurement to locate the tail light bracket.
Thanks in advance.
Wally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

How fast ? This fast if I could figure out what dimension you're looking for. ?!?!?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

OK - what I think you're asking for:
From the left edge of the body platform which carries the turtle deck to the center of the left hand he in my "neverout" bracket (2 mounting bolts) is three inches. Need more ? Hope his helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Stupid auto correct - "he" should read "hole"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter B. Szumowski on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

The brass tail light bracket mounted on the rear panel has to have a specific measurement from the edge. In other words, does it go inboard two or three inches. It goes on the left side of that rear panel, that panel measures 4 1/2 by 33 1/4 and is located beneath the turtle deck.
Thanks in advance.
Wally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter B. Szumowski on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

That is what I am looking for. Thanks Rich.
Wally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Rich,

You have thus rightly earned the very first MTFCA Unofficial Szumowski Award ......

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:20 pm:

15 minutes unless my math is off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Wow ! Kewl !! Thanks FJ !

Wally, yep, 3" - it's a pleasure to be of help. Us '13 roadster guys need to stick together ! (Show us a picture ? )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter B. Szumowski on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Rich we have two 13's one is a touring the other is the roadster. We have owned the touring car for over forty years. Most of it was original we just finished the second ground up restoration on that car, the roadster has been in a restoration of some sort for the last several years.
Jim now I'll have to think of some "Unofficial Award" however, don't rush me because at my age I move and think slow.
Dallas your math is good I wish I could type that fast.
Wally

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 12:05 am:

I will check in the morning. I'm currently working on an original untouched '13 roadster with the original wood and sheet metal. Currently the taillight bracket is off the car. I will give the distance from the left edge of the deck platform to the first hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

I apologize! I just remembered to measure for your taillight bracket! The left hand hole for the bracket is 2 11/16 in from the L.H. sill. This car has never been apart, and still has all of the original sheet metal and wood. Should you need any further help, get in touch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Well, I hope I didn't screw things up by leaping into the breach. I sure can't claim that kind of unassailable provenance for the position of the bracket hole on my T because I didn't restore it, and I don't know the particulars of its original condition, i.e., what may have ben replaced or re-worked, vs. what yet remains original to the car.

Fair questions, I think - A. would any differences be the result of different body makers ? Body on mine is a "Wilson". B. Would this mounting have been governed by very exacting tolerances ? How much variation would have been allowed ? The difference of 5/16" isn't much, and probably doesn't affect appearance or the operation of the tail lamp . . . ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 12:12 am:

Rich: I sometimes wonder if the body makers just let the workers eyeball it?
Early today I was painting body irons, and observed some interesting stuff. In mid '13, the assembly line hadn't been implemented yet, but they must have had an understanding of what was on the horizon, meaning they had a guy on each side of the car assembling parts. On my car, which has never been apart, one side had top irons assembled with two 1/4" square nuts with no bevel on one side, and lock washers, whereas on the other side the square nuts were of the flat variety, and no lock washers. Trivia I know, but interesting to some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Very interesting to me, because they are clues to what was going on at the time the car was being made and proof of the reality of what they were when new. Ever since folks started restoring them, the tendency is to strive for a level of finish and perfection they never actually had when new.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration