You never now what you'll find out there - brand new in the box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: You never now what you'll find out there - brand new in the box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

So, I just got back from a 9 day trip to Wisconsin with my wife and daughter. WHile there, I ventured in to the Wisconsin Dells antique mall. There, in one of the cases, was this brand new Boyce Moto-meter, new in the box. Not only was it new in the box, it was complete with the liner, the instruction booklet, the tag explaining how to settle the red thermometer fluid (by tapping on your spare tire) and a cloth cover that protected the meter during transport. IT was all there. I've never seen such a complete grouping before. THe liner is dated March 29, 1926, and the tag is dated 2-6-26. This thing is pristine, and I had to have it. So I sat it down on the counter and told them I'd buy it but wanted to finish looking around. Before I finished, I stumbled onto rarity Number 2.... A No. 9 side lamp for my 1911 Maxwell 2-cylinder. I was dumbfounded!! It was a great day!mx1mx2mx3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Get out! - :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I have seen a few, but that HAS to be the nicest one by far!
And where is the picture of your sidelamp? Or do I have to look in onto the new Maxwell site again?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Score!!! Some great finds James.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:48 pm:

Here you go Wayne.. It's not nearly as nice as the Moto-meter... It needs the bottom ring on the chimney replaced and someone put a coat of black paint on most of it, but just the fact that I even FOUND an early brass Maxwell lamp, anywhere but Hershey is amazing! At $67 bucks, I practically did a dance out the door...!lamp1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

This guy on Craigslist has been trying to sell this NOS motometer for about a year.

Don't know if he has anything else in addition to the original box.

https://brainerd.craigslist.org/atq/d/1918-antique-boyce-motometer/6240549726.ht ml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

For $290 it can stay on Craigslist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Jim,

Can we ask you what you paid for the motometer? Better bargain than the lamp?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Neat find. I am still searching for one of these stashed in a barn someplace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Dave... I gave $150 for the motometer. But only because it was so complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

James J L, Thanks for the lamp photo! I would say the Motometer was a fair price, the Maxwell lamp one you can crow about for years to come!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 01:17 am:

Wow! There is a guy on the Maxwell board that found one also. Just kidding! Did anyone come up with an idea/suppiler for a reproduction cap for me to drill for my Maxwell Motometer? I'd do it myself but I'm not really keen on giving my only cap for someone to copy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Wisconsin Dells is a great area to poke around in - particularly in the off season.

FreighTer Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:41 am:

I hate all of you people who find stuff like this. I always keep my eyes peeled and dig through things. And I just find the little Ford wrenches and they're asking $20 for them cause they are old and say Ford.

Seriously though that's super cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Wayne... I agree. I wouldn't have paid the 150 if all that was there were the meter and the box. It was all the other parts combined that made it worth the price to me.

We get back to the Dells every 4 years or so. My wife grew up about 5 miles south in the town of Baraboo, home of the Ringling Brothers. It's a great place to visit. Compared to where I grew up (outskirts of DC) it's freakin' Fantasy land!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer,Woodstock,Ontario,Canada on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

James,Do you need another Maxwell No.9 side light ? I have one that I traded some T parts for it.Nice solid light with no cracks.There is a slight dint around the red jewel.Complete with the burner.
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

I love a good antique mall. Have found great stuff even on the same weekend as an antique car show. Those motometers still turn up. I recently found one in a Pennsylvania antique mall for the same money. It wasn't far from Hershey, just off-season. Great find Jim, and soooooo complete too.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Baraboo? Do you go to the gas engine show? Oh. Maybe. :-)
I've heard too many stories...
Nice finds James. :-)
No wonder we see so many out of state vehicles up here in God's country! ;-)
And I'm next door in MN!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration