1/4-20 Square Nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1/4-20 Square Nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Forgive me if I've mentioned this subject before.
I have two 1913 Fords that are loaded with 1/4-20 square nuts, 7/16's across the flats. I have two 1925 Fords that are loaded with 1/4-20 square nuts 1/2 across the flats. Ford was known for making stuff cheaper throughout the years without sacrificing quality, so I wonder why he did this?
I believe Randall Anderson is currently making the 1/2 across the flats style, which are not common at hardware stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I want some, i need some. I emailed Randall but didn't get a response

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

I bought these from BK fasteners through ebay. If you look at the picture CLOSELY, you will see that many in the pic are plain square nuts, but a few have the correct shape and bevel on the corners. So, I took a chance and ordered 100 pieces. For 11 bucks, it was a low risk. When they showed up, they were 75% Early version with the beveled corners. These are NEW OLD STOCK. In any event, I bought 200 of the 1/4 inch and 200 of the 5/16 inch. ALL of the 5/16 were the correct early shape. My un-restored 1923 Martin Parry is LOADED with the 5/16 square nuts and these are perfect with the right patina.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-20-Square-Nuts-Coarse-Thread-Plain-Steel-Finish-Lot- of-100-Pcs-/161748956850?hash=item25a8fd36b2:g:knMAAOSwMmBVka7z

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Larry, I have quite a few new old stock that I bought years ago at a store going out of business. How many do you Need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Dale would you have any 1/4 inch square head lags with the small head? I believe they are 3/8 head. 1 1/2 and 2 inch is what I need.
Also sent you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig hall on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Larry, McMaster-carr is the place to look for all sizes of square head nuts and bolts. They have an online catalog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

If you look close at the old style square nuts, even with out the bevel, there is a top and bottom. When they are formed the corners have little tits that grab what you are assembling. Modern ones don't have that feature.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

Dallas, blacksmithbolt.com have 1/4" lag bolts with 3/8 square head in lengths 3/4 to 5 1/2 inch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

I would like to add, the 1925's have two types of 1/4-20 square nuts, 1/2" across the flats. Beveled, and flat, meaning they are flat on both sides. This is only an assumption, but it appears that the beveled nuts were used when there was visibility, and flat nuts when there was no visibility, for instance the radiator shell to radiator retaining nuts, which can't be seen. BTW, this discussion has gone way beyond what I intended. I didn't say anything about lag bolts! In addition, McMaster Carr was brought up, but the poster failed to mention the size of the 1/4-20 nut across the flats, which is the reason I posted this topic to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:36 am:

I got a box from Mcmaster Carr they are 7/16.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#square-nuts/=1919u5b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Will, when did you email me? I never got anything from you, but I had a massive fatal computer crash a couple weeks ago, and haven't been able to retrieve everything. Let me know what you need and I'll fix you up.

rvmodeltATnetsyncDOTnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

I think if you went to an older hardware store and asked for stove bolts you could get what you wanted. Find an old rusty stove and remove the bolts and nuts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:15 am:

I've always been interested in using the correct bolts and nuts on my T's. Years ago, I met up with an older gentleman with a lot of knowledge on the subject. He told me the 1/4-20 square nuts that are 1/2" across the flats started to get phased out after WWII. Now we have R.V.! And, for those of you who are not too familiar with R.V., he always has a large supply of hard to find nuts and bolts at swap meets. Hershey is coming up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration