Check out this period homemade early wishbone brace.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Check out this period homemade early wishbone brace.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

I found this earlier front axle with an over the axle wishbone with a load of T parts I picked up last week.

Check out this homemade wishbone brace that someone made years ago out of a piece of angle iron. The neatest part has to be the piece that connects it to the wishbone. It looks like they used a couple pieces of Model T radius rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 01:32 am:

Ed, neat is not a word I would use to describe the use of bits of a rear radius rod for that clamp. Rough and ready spring to mind. The whole thing is rather crude. Had they left the angle iron intact at the perch nut it would have been much more effective.

The one I found for my speedster showed a greater level of craftsmanship. They used a second front radius rod for the additional piece. The forgings were removed at the front and the tube was flattened and drilled to be held by the perch nut.

At the rear the ball was grooved to fit in the yoke of the original radius rod. Two clamping plates were blacksmith made and curved around the rods. A bolt either side of the ball held them together securely. One of the plates still had the brand imprint of the plough share from which it was made.

I love seeing these pieces of old time ingenuity, and respect the workmanship in the better examples.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 02:56 am:

Here is a add from Dec 1921 Ford Owner and Dealer for Walker Auxiliary Rods. They are made from angle iron.Dec 1921 add for Walker Auxiliary Front Radius Rods

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 04:47 am:

That is pretty cool period 'farmyard' engineering, Might be a 'wall hanger' for the man cave?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 10:22 am:

My '17 roadster had an angle iron auxiliary wishbone.

Very cheap and ugly - I threw it in the scrap pile.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration