1927 Conversion to coil/dist ignition.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1927 Conversion to coil/dist ignition.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Yard on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

My 27 T has a coil/dist mod and I noticed No Mag wire to the switch. Do they eliminate this magneto function when changing to coil/dist?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Generally the reason for single coil and distributor ignition is the Ford low tension magneto is out of order. Or the coil box is empty of vibrator coils.

Sometimes the entire flywheel magnet assembly and field coil on the back of the block is also not present.

The single coil/distributor is then the sole ignition source.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Jeffrey,

It can be as Dan states. But, even if the magneto is fully functional, there is no way to make use of it when using a distributor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Actually Jerry, I don't know why anybody would do it, but if the Ford magneto is functional, with a distributor ignition, I would think the magneto (rather than generator or alternator) could be used to charge the battery. I suppose one reason for such a set-up would be a speedster with pressure lubrication and an oil pump could be installed in place of generator/alternator and driven off of the timing gear instead.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration