Ford Canada

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ford Canada
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:52 am:

Hello
Canada and the Colonials who have an interest in this topic

Now I may have miss read posts on this forum and don't want to go back and find them so here it is

I was under the impression based my memory of posts that bodies were to be made in Australia because of the embargo

Here is some text to ponder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Having problems loading images. A gremlin of some sort so will have to come back another time

The short of it is

Ford told local dealers they will only be sending chassis months before the embargo was announced and regardless of the embargo bodies would be made in Australia

Now who would push for an embargo .And who said they thought bodies should be made in Australia as they had set up facilities two years before to do such

Who has the most money to make from this and the most to loose if there were no embargo

What group of businessmen went to the Sydney to push for an embargo

What group of men were accused of excessive profits by Ford

Would Ford Canada say we are only sending bodies to save face because they knew they lost a challenge to the embargo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Forgot a WHAT

What group of men did not want to sell Closed Cars because there was no money in it ,sorry buyers for them . They are too hot in summer and so on

Warmer in winter isn't it? Wind a window down when its hot. There is the rain when hot or cold

What was so different from the 30s on about Closed Cars.

AC is till an option now ,and how many convertibles are sold now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Typo above

I wrote

Would Ford Canada say we are only sending bodies (it should be .. sending Chassis) to save face because they knew they lost a challenge to the embargo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Still cant load the images of text I wanted to load

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:13 am:

One more

Who would say they were wronged over the supply of bodies to Ford if it was in writing or not get it in writing when Ford took control in the later 20s

Were any of them bathing in the pots of gold after Ford took over and feel they were wronged ?

Do I feel sorry for them ?

Do I think . .some ..of what they built was just beautiful ? Hell Yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Is this "A legacy untold"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Cant resist this one

Have these men become a Jessie James or Ned Kelly

For our American friends who don't get it. Ned Kelly was a cop killer and evil villain who claimed persecution, but loved by the people to become a legend, a sort of Robin Hood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Wish I called the topic "Ford Canada and The Wild Colonial Boys"
Here,s a link Fingers crossed to you Tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD4LHMHGpMo

If not Google . Dr Hook - "The Wild Colonial Boy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:15 am:

If your wondering how I view the song

Jack The Wild Colonial Boy is the Ford Dealers In Oz

Robbing the Squatters (land Barons ) is
profiteering on the public

Shooting Judge McEvoy is the Dealers getting the body embargo put in place

The Troopers are Ford taking back control

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Oh And the Queen is Henry Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:26 am:

One More

The laughter of the Kookaburras is the sound of the dealers rolling in there pots of gold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

All interesting stuff! And some an interesting different ways to look at it.
I may not be a colonial, however, I find the Southern hemisphere Fords (and other cars) a fascinating area of automotive history. I enjoy nearly all the posts by our Australian friends, those in New Zealand, South Africa, and South America as well. Australia and New Zealand have very active groups of antique automobile hobbyists, and a number of them post here often. Many of the Australian and New Zealand model Ts are among the best looking model T Fords ever built anywhere in the world.

First, you need to look at many of your questions in the context of their time. There you can find many of your answers. Early Fords were shipped intact. Mostly from Ford Canada, which was set up in partnership by Henry Ford and a couple Ford dealers in Canada to manufacture (read that in part as "assemble") cars in Canada to avoid duties (taxes designed to encourage profitable local enterprises by taxing the outsiders beyond a competitive edge). Such taxes go way back in history, long before the automobile was a viable product.
Ford Canada shipped complete cars to British possessions all over the world. England proper had its own manufacturing plant very early, and built beautiful cars using Ford parts for the British Isles and a few areas of Europe, so did not generally receive cars from their colonies. This worked okay, for awhile.
As more and more cars were being built, sold, and driven, shipping became a problem. Too many goods to be shipped, and not enough ships. Then, in 1914, the first world war broke out. Most of the ships were needed for war effort transportation. That brought about the embargo that forced Australia and New Zealand to build their own bodies. The body could be built, using basic tooling and manufacturing facilities. Whereas the chassis, engine, axles, etc, required steel mills, major mining, and casting facilities. The chassis could be manufactured where those facilities were, broken down a bit, crated and stacked for shipping about four of them in the space a single complete car would require. So it came to pass. Chassis built in Canada, bodies built in the country where they went. It was also a good business. When the war ended, why go back to shipping whole cars. Manufacturers and sellers saved a lot of money shipping chassis that way, made more money building bodies locally, and employed local people in good jobs that made them customers to buy cars so that the sellers and manufacturers could make even more money. (Too bad the people running businesses the world over today can't figure some of that out.)
Eventually, times change, resources change, and approach to business models change.

Enclosed cars. These also are a factor of their times. Before the automobile became a commonplace thing? The world was a very different place. Most people's daily transportation was either on foot, or by horse (either riding the horse or in the wagon or carriage behind the horse). Walking was about three miles per hour (about 5 kmh I think). A horse's average is about 12 mph (about 20 kmh?) for distance, and for less than two hours.
We tend to think that a model T doing 25 mph is slow. But in its day? That was moving along fast! An enclosed car is the same thing. People were used to being out in the weather (except for some royalty and wealthy people that preferred to be sequestered). An open car was just normal. After the automobile became a real thing, it took a quarter century for enclosed cars to become more common in the USA.
Down in Australia and New Zealand? They had other issues. Bodies built locally needed glass, and a lot of added material to support and make the top. This raised the costs for enclosed bodies a lot. In the USA, the "costs of scale" reduced those expenses. However, shipping whole bodies went back to that same old problem from a decade before. They took a lot of space in the ship, and were therefore expensive to be shipped.
There were some people that were willing to pay the price, and have an enclosed car. Whether it was shipped across the seas, or built locally, the comfort, and the bragging rights, were worth it.

Funny how the world changes. Today, with huge containerized ships all over the world? Shipping large items or quantities is not nearly as expensive as it was fifty or a hundred years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Hans, a lot of questions,
Wayne mostly covered it, shipping, by late 1915 cargo shipping had back logged in New york due to WW1, also at some time around then, companies had imposed a boycott on Australia to avoid a British order of back loads of wheat and wool must go to England on a round trip so all that was left for importing was sailing/clipper type ships willing to still go to Australia.

I spent a lot of time in researching about, "he said/she said, so it must be true" on the subject of 5000 unsold cars 1915/16/17??, leading to the embargo, all another story but I can tell you on your question.

"Who had the most money to make and the most to loose if there were no embargo?"
Dunlop had the most to loose.
It dragged out over several months on and about the embargo between Politicians, Business people and Monarchists.
Dunlop campaigned hard to stop all USA imports to protect his and British interests in Australia.
At the end of the day a compromise was made to make Dunlop happy and rich.
All USA imports are to come into Australia tyre-less and be fitted with Dunlop tyres for delivery of sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 01:01 am:

Hello Frank & Wayne

There are two sides to a story and if there others in that story then more sides again to contend with

Yes I missed some players but would have made the story more boring and long than it was already.Only the dedicated would have read it.

I tried to add some spice with the song link to You tube and give Ford characters identities to this in the song When I listened to it I could see the whole story and feel the song another way .At the end with the gunfight I could see the Oz dealers in the fight to the end, Its a powerful song on its own even glorifying a villen

My main point to my post is that in reading this forum , blaming the embargo and the government which did result by chance in works of art was not telling the whole story and dealers were wronged pawns and to be mothered

Reality is it was an exercise in thinking and fighting the accepted wisdom .If thoughts did not change this time so be it but maybe a spark is lit only to find it was only a spark and not a fire or was a smoldering heap waiting to get out of control

Pity I still cant get the images to load . There were bits about Mr Duncans own car and its pimped out to the max with every T option money can buy.
With an inventory of options plus anything you can think off not listed that long you could have the ride you want and say it came from the factory like that your car is just the base model that the USA had to live with thanks to Henry.

Will also add a lot of the editorials I wanted to load were shameless infomercials

Time to go and will put the You tube song on repeat

Hans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hans Schick on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 01:25 am:

By the way, I will post a few other questions, that may inflame, if not warned in advance.

I want to see a "Fair and balanced" view put across and maybe add to history or just see me surrender in the "Queen's name"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration