Headlight Focus Adjustment Location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Headlight Focus Adjustment Location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:09 am:

These two headlights have the bulb focusing adjustment screw located in two different locations. Is this due simply two different suppliers or characteristic of different years?

headlight

headlight 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Bottom one is for 15-16 and possible for 17. Usually found with magneto lighting. Top one for 18-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Makes sense. The top one is from my '23 runabout. The bottom one I bought at a swap meet on Sunday with some other parts. If that's the case ... anyone need the earlier one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:45 am:

The socket in the top photo is the socket that goes in the '15-'17 light in the bottom photo.

It will work the way it is with the straight headlight plugs, but the later style socket will NOT work with the right angle headlight plugs. The right angle will end up pointing sideways.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I'm reinstalling my headlights, is there a right and a left side or are they both the same?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

There aren't left and right on the '25 and earlier, the '26 fender mount headlamp is left and right style.

Also, the earlier head lamp with adj. screw above the socket also has the square shoulder mounting post. That shoulder only fits the earlier fender bracket with the single flat on the inboard side.

Earlier post on the right, the later post is tapered sided, fits the later fender bracket with the twin taper side.

The earlier post won't interchange with the later fender bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Thanks Keith .. I'll have to look at all my sockets and focus adjusters to make sure I have the right ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

With the bulbs available today, the 18 to 25 position will not have a dim and bright (low/high) but a left right shift. Several of us in my area have moved the focus hole and sleeve to the 15 position to have a true high/low shift from the bulbs we can get today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

That adjustment screw has to be totally horizontal from the socket to have the light beam show horizontal on the wall, like the Ford Manual shows.

The second photo would also be correct for an early 1926 Ford Driver's side Headlight or the ones without the fender to fender bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

A friend told me that his 1920 head lights do not have that screw at all, but the socket can be slid in and out for focus.

The reflector has a small bulb near the top and the Dim position lights that bulb.

The main headlight bulb only has one filament that is lit when Bright is selected.

Some Model As had this arrangement, but his headlight is an otherwise correct Model T light.

Does anyone else have that type of a headlight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Those are typical '19-'20 lamps on the first Fords with electric start. Mostly seen on sedans as they got electric first.

The double bulb don't have adj. screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, September 08, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Thanks Dan for solving that mystery!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration