Am I Building A Problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Am I Building A Problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:31 am:

I primed the exhaust manifold last night with the Rustoleum 2000 F paint and let it dry overnight.

On the way in today, I began to think, "How many coats of primer/paint/clear are too many?

Too many coats of primer/paint/clear would prevent heat dissipation, wouldn't it?

Since I do not want the manifold to run too hot and warp, please let me know your experiences of painting this manifold for a running car.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:39 am:

After blasting I use this clear coat, and it's fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:58 am:

Thanks, Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

People porcelain coat exhaust manifolds so I would guess that the amount of paint you would be getting on should be less even if you coated it several times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Probably wont matter as it will likely burn off. Either way, I wouldn't worry about heat dissipation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

I just brush stove polish on mine and buff it with a cloth. Low tech and has a nice black luster. I do this about every other month of driving ... takes five minutes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

I think in theory you want the heat to stay in and continue combustion. I don't think it matters on our stock T. take a picture before you fire it up and enjoy before the miles wear it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Thank you all for your input.

I made the decision to continue painting; these pictures are Flat Black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Rhoads on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

The reason for coating exhaust manifold's is to get the heat down the line and out from under the hood the combustion has already happened. Ceramic coating is great and will not burn off But I think in the case of Model T's it is kind of redundant. It will make you smile for a while but 2 stage(base and clear) won't last long and the odor might be a little obnoxious for a bit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:07 am:

Want something quick and easy - get John Deere Muffler paint in the spray can. Usually sold at John Deere dealers for lawn mowers rather than tractors. It comes out flat black and looks nice for a fairly long time. It doesn't burn off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Thank you, John.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration