How I spent my anniversary- and yes, it's T related!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How I spent my anniversary- and yes, it's T related!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

My wife pulled off her best surprise yet (well, other than announcing she was pregnant both times...) last Christmas when she surprised me with Model T drivers ed at the Gilmore. She also enrolled herself, so it was a double surprise!

Alas, it's finally August and our scheduled day , the 10th, which she selected because it's our 16th wedding anniversary. Fitting, as the legal driving age in Michigan is 16!

We had the 1:30 PM session, and there were about 18 students, or two groups of 9. Which worked great as there were 3 cars, so 9 people were in a car at a time. The others got to do things like tour the Model A museum (a must see, there are some gorgeous cars), etc.

I'll admit, it was my first time DRIVING in a T. I've ridden in them at Greenfield Village several times, but never from the pilot's seat. So, I was comfortable, but nervous. Turned out we were in the group that got to drive first, and my wife and a great gentleman from NYC who were my car companions 'voted' for me to go first! Well, no guts no glory! My first lap went pretty swell, but on the second I did stall... tried to stop it like my Mustang, clutch and brake! Well, that doesn't work in a T, and the instructors don't like having to crank start the car... so I made sure not to do that again! The rest of the ride went pretty well, except that time I had to do a semi evasive maneuver due to an oncoming Packard... but I digress.

Long story short, I'm hooked for sure now. I've back and forthed on getting a T for now on 15 years, and I'm gung ho now. Added bonus, the wife is too! Until she drove (I may add, mostly better than I, she didn't stall nor upset the instructor! ;) ) a T, she was not too keen on it. Now, I'd say she's even a touch excited. So, it looks like we are doing what they did 100 years ago and ditching the horse (in this case our 87 Mustang convertible) and moving into the motor age! Huzzah!

If you haven't been, the Gilmore is a fantastic place. It was my first time there, and I hope to go back soon. Maybe even in my own T next time!
TdriversEd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Jason, that sounds like a wonderful time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

Hook set! Reel her in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Awesome. :-)
Hehehe! Kind of like Dallas's comment, the bug bit you two! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Jason, thanks for sharing your Model T driving experience, wonderful story. Yep, your hooked now alright. Welcome to the affliction as we like to say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Sounds fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Congratulations on the anniversary and T driving lesson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Thank you everyone. I was having withdrawls, so after a meeting at the PDC in Dearborn I snuck over to Greenfield Village for a ride yesterday! ;)

I wasn't alone- it was about an hour wait!
Tride

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration