OT lecture on early photography

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT lecture on early photography
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

I am giving a lecture on the evolution of salted paper printing at a symposium on early photography at Harvard this September if anyone in the area is interested.

here is the link

http://www.conservation-us.org/courses/professional-development-courses/current- courses/salted-paper-prints-symposium-and-workshop#.WZ2xrD6GOJA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Mark, this sounds very interesting. I assume that this process uses any type of negative not just the wet glass negatives common in the 1830's. I read through the AIC syllabus for this class and they are fairly thorough with the exception of their failure to mention the presenter anywhere. Due to this oversight I will boycott attending the class... the distance between California and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts couldn't possibly be a factor in my decision.

Let me know if you ever take this lecture to the opposite coast, it would be interesting!

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Hey Terry,

I'll look into this ... should be a list of speakers and topics somewhere. I dunno ... I'm only the hired help. :-)

As far as the salt printing process ... it was the first silver halide process introduced by Wedgwood in the late 18th century. Was first stabilized by Talbot in the 1830s and used originally for paper negatives. Was then used for albumen on glass negatives in the late 1840s and eventually for wet collodion which was introduced in 1851. Was also the first medium for printing solar enlargements.

I give talks all over the US and internationally. My next one will be at the New Orleans Museum of Art, December 8th.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

I recall a wet collodion photo of Ike in front of the White House published in LIFE. As a high school photo student at the time, I thought it was pretty neat that somebody was playing Brady.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 05:35 pm:

Wet collodion is actually my specialty. My wife and I taught the first collodion workshops of the current tintype and ambrotype movement back in 1995. Back then there were only about five people who knew the process .... now there are thousands. We also resurrected collodion emulsion printing out paper and dry collodion plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Terry ... that site has a place on the bottom where you click to see authors and topics. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

Sure enough it is right there. Don't I feel stupid now?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Who knows ... they may have a pod cast. But frankly ... I make up all that stuff in my lectures anyway. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration