1922-25 Windshield Post to Dash Screws

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1922-25 Windshield Post to Dash Screws
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

This is in response to a post Tony Bowker put on the classified. The correct nuts for these 1/4-20 windshield post to dash nuts is: The thickness of the nut is 1/4", a bit thicker than a standard square nut. The long ones are 1 1/2", and the short ones are 1 1/16. The purpose of these nuts is to eliminate the need of a wrench on the back side of the dashboard when installing the windshield post, or the dashboard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Larry, did both the upper and lower screw have the extended plate nut, or just the upper?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/613214.html?1454941657

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Slant windshield dash nuts. As I recall, the long one is the lower. If that doesn't work, it must be the other way. It's been ten years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Here is the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

OK, thanks Larry. I just checked, it turns out that Betsy only has the plate nuts on the lower bolts, the upper ones have regular square nuts.

Considering the number of incorrect fasteners that I have already replaced on Betsy, I'm not surprised.

More stuff to add to my Hershey shopping list, or maybe I'll get some 1/4 inch stock and make my own. :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on August 23, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

Learned something new. Thanks guys! I will have to go check mine out now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

That explains why I had so much fun putting square nuts on the 24 Touring have just completed. It's doable but tough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Interesting.

When I was messing around with the windshield fasteners on my 24 Touring, I found these long nuts on the car and thought that they were simply more of the "farm fixes" that are so prevalent on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 08:50 am:

I went ahead and made a couple from some left over flat stock last night. Going to leave them natural finish like the originals. Will install them this afternoon after my bike ride. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 09:32 am:

I just installed those, I only had 2 so I figured they went in the lower holes seeing how difficult it would be to get a regular nut in there. The upper holes you can get a nut in there easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Approx. size of the parts you fabricated, and what size hole should I drill to tap to 1/4-20? I could look it up.
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Look on a tap/drill chart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

#7-.201 or a 13/64 drill should be about right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I think I have some nos short ones, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Can someone please post a picture of where these go?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:43 am:

On the back side of these pair of screws on each side of the dash. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Ok ... right. I am hoping to re-install my slant windshield assembly on the '23 this weekend. I have the four carriage bolts for the side light brackets that go into the windshield bracket, but forgot about the ones shown here. I did find one of those long nuts in my windshield hardware parts can, but must have lost the other one. I dismantled this T nine months ago and thought I had separated all the hardware but occasionally one goes missing. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration