Early wheel hub help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Early wheel hub help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

O.k., I took the front wheels completely apart on my 1910 T, and the two front hubs are definitely not the same! The one has a small ID mark on the neck, the other doesn't. I also popped the ball bearing race out to inspect it better, and it does seem to have some wear and stress cracks; is it still usable? And can anyone tell me the year hubs I have from the photos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

Hi Bill. That race gave me a good laugh. I may have seen a worse one, but can't honestly remember when. The hub on the right is the early one, they are easy enough to find. If you want to be 100% correct look for one without the internal recesses for punching the races out. Tough to find, though. Actually if you have a lathe or access to one you can thread the later style hub down to look like the earlier one. If I had some time, I'd do it for you.
Richard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Bill, what is the diameter of the flange on your Hubs? 1909 1910 and early 11 had 5 1/2inch hub flanges 5/16 bolts both front and rear. Later hobs are 6 inch flange diameter and 3/8 inch bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

Unfortunately, the hubs are the 6 inch variety. But I'm not looking to switch all four wheels out for the correct 5.5" hubs - they are just too darned hard to find and I'm not THAT much of a purist. But I would like to find an early hub like the one I have on the right. If anyone out there has an extra, I'd be interested!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

BTW, Richard, glad I could entertain! Also, that is one nice looking '10 on your profile!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 02:28 am:

Bill. I noticed at the auction that one of your front hubs was later, I may have an extra early hub if you want to change it. I also bought a set of 4 1911 wheels. I don't have them home yet, but if you are interested I'll check on there condition. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 06:36 am:

Kim; absolutely! I'd be interested in both the early front hub and the 4 wheels as well. When they arrive let me know and we'll go from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 06:39 am:

Kim, I'd be interested in the early front hub and perhaps the set of '11 wheels too! Let me know when they arrive and we'll go from there! Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Bill,
If you look closely at your hub on the right, you can see where it has been machined for a speedometer gear, and it has three hole drilled in the hub to mount the gear. This hub was available in late 1914 thru 1915. Looking at the right hub, it appears someone tried to turn down the lip to make it appear original.

Also, I believe your car should have 5 1/2" hubs which are different than the 1911 hub which is the 6" hub. I hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:02 am:

I thought they went to the 6" hub some time in 1910? Guess I better check the judging guidelines!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Russ, I do know that my '10 should have 5 1/2" hubs, but they are just so darned hard to find! I figure I'll just use what I have, unless some generous individual out there has a set of correct hubs they want to unload!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Bill, Not wishing to sound condescending but I was a bit shocked that anyone would need to ask about bearings in that sort of a state.
No one else seems to have made any comment other than Richard, but they are totally SHOT ! You are lucky they have not collapsed on you while driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 07:01 am:

This is my first all brass car - I've never had to deal with ball bearings before in my life. I've also never drove the car - it was delivered a month ago from the auction in Minnesota and was not in running order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:25 am:

I just installed ball bearings in my '13. They would support a lot larger vehicle than a Model T! I used Randall Andersons grease seals.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration