Steering wheel to shaft taper and keyway dimensions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering wheel to shaft taper and keyway dimensions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Hi - I'm in need of the dimensions for the model T steering shaft where the steering hub fits onto including keyway

I'm making a custom hub for a speedster steering wheel that will screw into the said hub, I don't have a factory wheel to get hub dims from so hoping someone can accurately measure for me

Thxs
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

John,
The bore in a Model T steering wheel spider is not tapered, but does have a keyway. I may have the center portion of a spider (one with broken arms) that you could use for dimensions. I can look for it tonight after work.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Measure the shaft that the hub will fit on and make the hole in the hub approximately .0005/.0010" bigger.

The holes in the original hubs are sometimes difficult to measure because the hub is not just one piece, but a sandwich of several layers, with a hole broached though. Anyway, it makes for a somewhat crude hole. By the way, I speak of the later style wheels, not the early brass ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

Thanks Don - that will be very helpful
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don A on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

I found the steering wheel spider with broken arms, but I can't remove the stub shaft and steering gear case cover. Anyway, here are your dimensions: shaft size is o.750" (3/4"), the key way is 0.1875" (3/16"). The length is 0.940". I have the top shaft soaking. I'll let you know if I get it apart for you.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

John, I am doing the exact same thing and have the dimensions. Will PM you this weekend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, August 26, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

Try this, I used one on a truck build. Worked great.http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Model-T-Keyed-Steering-Shaft-Assembly-3-Inch-Stubshaft,2035.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration