Outer Grease Seal install Model T Differential

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Outer Grease Seal install Model T Differential
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron MacDonald on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:24 am:

After so many years of "Model Tedium" I still can't get the outer grease seal on the differential (T2510) to properly seat into place. The thin felt muffin is too thick to compact, the supplied washer that protects the end of the bearing always needs to be modified and the end cap doesn't want to seat. (I do have a ten pound sledge but I am reluctant to use it) I like to use the parts as Henry supplied them rather than the more modern stuff. Has anyone out there in "T" land come up with a way to address this issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:38 am:

If you are talking about the metal cap, they came originally in two sizes. I may have it reversed, but, the diameter of the machined area the cap fits on is a little larger on the earlier cars then the later cars. The metal washers, only need to be just a little less in diameter then the machined area the cap fit on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron MacDonald on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 11:51 am:

Thanks MarK: The metal cap fits the the machined area on the diff. ok as long as the felt isn't installed. I modify the washer to fit the outside of the race so it's inside the differential tube and out of the way but can't get into the race to cause a problem with the bearing. It's the felt that holds everything from seating properly. In the past I have thinned the felt but it makes it ineffective. I have used the modern caps on my cars that I drive distances in but I still like authenticity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

Other way around - smaller O.D. is early.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I think you are using the incorrect felt. You like authenticity, myself also, I believe as to what you are referring to is a felt and dust cover and not a grease seal. The part # for the cap is T2510 and #2510B for the felt. The felt is about 1/4" thick and therefore should fit with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron MacDonald on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks Dave for your contribution. I call the dust cover/felt a grease retainer because that's what I think it does, as well as keep dirt out of the bearing.Those are the parts, T2510 and T2510B, I'm using. Even though the felt is only a quarter inch (or less) thick it still holds the cap too far away from the housing. I'm working on the solution, just not there yet. I've found the new modern seals that I use on my cars that get lots of miles work well, the fitment is good but it isn't "the way Henry built it". On this car, which won't be long distance traveller I'm determined to use the original style stuff. The beat goes on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Something is amiss, the cap should just tap on snugly and be held in place by the hub??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration